Recipe: RISky Business

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezraburke

DIPA Brewer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Back again after our latest foray into DIPA territory. This time it's an RIS based on the Alesmith Clone found here. Plenty of subbing going on to get this to size. I've cross-referenced with some other RIS recipes and modeled the grain bill accordingly. My real worry lies in the rather complex step-mash that is prescribed. We are used to doing single-infusion mashes so this is somewhat alien to us. Any opinions on how i've meted that out are welcome.

Batch Size: 17 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 19 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.103
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.116
Final Gravity: 1.031
ABV (standard): 11.07%
IBU (tinseth): 38.39
SRM (morey): 50

FERMENTABLES:
8.6 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (80.8%)
700 g - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (6.6%)
500 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 45L (4.7%)
400 g - United Kingdom - Chocolate (3.8%)
450 g - Flaked Oats (4.2%)

HOPS:
28 g - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 27.82
14 g - Liberty, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 5.17
14 g - Liberty, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 75 min, IBU: 5.4

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 67 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 14.3 L, Mash in
2) Temperature, Temp: 60 C, Time: 85 min, Amount: 2.85 L, Temperature Rest
3) Infusion, Temp: 70 C, Time: 45 min, Amount: 2.85 L, Raise
4) Sparge, Temp: 76 C, Time: 5 min, Amount: 11.32 L, Mash Out w/ Sparge
Starting Mash Thickness: 3.8 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-56 & WLP002
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore i'm thinking of going with two yeast strains in this to produce a complex beast of a beer.

Cheers!

I'm not at all experienced in all grain recipes, but I did an RIS recently, bottled at the weekend actually, and it used 250g roast barley coincidentally for 16litres in the fermenter. The flavour comes through very very distinctly is what I'll say, its not tooo much but it does need to mellow and mature out which I'm sure it will. I just wonder if with 700g you might have too much? Greg Hughes RIS recipe uses 2.5% and brewdog nuclear penguin uses 3% for example. My brew was partial mash so it's hard to give a percentage but equated to about 4%
Just some food for thought, might be worth getting some other opinions before you crack on.

Thanks @poochops - i got input from the reddit homebrewing community, mostly Americans so make of that what you will, and was linked to this page giving the grain bills for various RISs. The advice given across both forums and via data collected at that link suggest i should dial back the roasted barley. That said, if i halved it i'd have to either up the maris otter or add some more dark crystal.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks @poochops - i got input from the reddit homebrewing community, mostly Americans so make of that what you will, and was linked to this page giving the grain bills for various RISs. The advice given across both forums and via data collected at that link suggest i should dial back the roasted barley. That said, if i halved it i'd have to either up the maris otter or add some more dark crystal.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

That said, strange-steve recently posted a recipe that bagged him a gold at the Irish National Hombrew Competition, with 11% chocolate and 8% roasted barley.

I recently did a RIS with 600gr 5.6% and it turned out great, took a bottle to homebrew club on Sunday and 3 people wanted the recipe. If your going to the effort of doing an impy, it's got to hold and in your face.

That said, strange-steve recently posted a recipe that bagged him a gold at the Irish National Hombrew Competition, with 11% chocolate and 8% roasted barley.

Ack, too much confusion! :lol:

I've decided to modify the grain bill:

FERMENTABLES:
9 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (79.3%)
650 g - United Kingdom - Munich (5.7%)
500 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 45L (4.4%)
450 g - Flaked Oats (4%)
400 g - United Kingdom - Chocolate (3.5%)
350 g - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (3.1%)

HOPS:
28 g - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 25.96
14 g - Liberty, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 4.83
14 g - Liberty, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 75 min, IBU: 5.04

MASH GUIDELINES:

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-56
Additional Yeast: WLP007 - Dry English Ale

After discussion with a number of sources (reddit homebrew forum and Buxton Brewers) i've had a blast at revising this. Buxton do absolutely minimal bittering with Co2 Extract so i'm going to nail it with Nugget then they said they only use Centennial as their flameout hop. So, without further ado:

Style Name: Russian Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 17 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Gravity: 1.112
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.125
Final Gravity: 1.030
ABV (standard): 12.44%
IBU (tinseth): 37.57

FERMENTABLES:
9.4 kg - Maris Otter Pale (81.7%)
750 g - Roasted Barley (6.5%)
500 g - Crystal 90L (4.3%)
450 g - Flaked Oats (3.9%)
400 g - Chocolate (3.5%)

HOPS:
14 g - Nugget - Boil for 30 min, IBU: 11.9
28 g - Centennia - Aroma for 90 min, IBU: 25.68

MASH GUIDELINES:

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

YEAST:
White Labs - Dry English Ale Yeast WLP007

Here MY :whistle: ahem

Brew 16 - Ris-ky business - RIS attempt (i use the word attempt - brewdog liked it :lol: )

Malt & Sugar:
2kg very dark dme
2kg medium dme
500g wme
250g dark candi sugar
Grains:
250g choc
250g carafa special III
250g roasted barley
500g dark crystal

steeping in 2litres chase spring water
strike temp 76.8 - mash/steep temp 65
rinsed with 2 litres water at 50 degrees
added 4 litres to boil
and 4kg dme and candi sugar boiled for 15 min
50g mandarina bavaria in 1 litre of water separate 15 min boil
all pitched into fv and final 500g WME stirred in.
topped up to 22 litres(determined to end up with 20 litres of beer) = 60 x 33cl bottles!
Mj belgian ale yeast rehydrated in 150ml 30deg water
pitched at 29 degrees - fermenting at 22
10.37%

@dad_of_jon, you don't happen to have a bottle of yours kicking around i could pinch off you for taste test? :D

I'm interested in how 50g Madarina Bavaria balances what sounds like an overwhelmingly sweet profile - having completed a Belgian Golden Strong with 500g Candi Sugar i can attest to it giving it a cloyingly sweet taste. Also does the Belgian Ale yeast not give it a real clove/banana/estery type sheen?

@dad_of_jon, you don't happen to have a bottle of yours kicking around i could pinch off you for taste test? :D

I'm interested in how 50g Madarina Bavaria balances what sounds like an overwhelmingly sweet profile - having completed a Belgian Golden Strong with 500g Candi Sugar i can attest to it giving it a cloyingly sweet taste. Also does the Belgian Ale yeast not give it a real clove/banana/estery type sheen?

Hi EZ,

unfortunately they are out of my grasp (just as well really as they'd not last to xmas otherwise.) The put aside beers are returned to me in December :pray:

What I can say is that it is sweet when young but I didn't find it cloying. The Belgian yeast is good for 14% so it reduces the sweetness significantly. I'd imagine if you used a standard yeast it would be sickly sweet. There was no clove or banana in them, dark fruits yes.

Hi EZ,

unfortunately they are out of my grasp (just as well really as they'd not last to xmas otherwise.) The put aside beers are returned to me in December :pray:

What I can say is that it is sweet when young but I didn't find it cloying. The Belgian yeast is good for 14% so it reduces the sweetness significantly. I'd imagine if you used a standard yeast it would be sickly sweet. There was no clove or banana in them, dark fruits yes.

I sense a yeast experiment coming on. Might split the batch, fire Belgian at one and English Ale at the other.

Plans are afoot.

Back