Coopers European Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrwhiteside

Reaction score
Hi

I am about to start brewing my second ever beer.
I have Coopers European Lager and coopers brew enhancer 2.
I read the instructions and they advised not to use much "simple sugar" as the yeast will ferment more thoroughly causing the beer to lack in body.

Does this mean don't use all of the beer enhancer I have?
If so how much should I use?

Or does this men use all of the enhancer I have just don't use a simple sugar?

Sorry if this is a simple question but I am a beginner and am really anxious for this to taste good.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
JP

Hi mate. I just finished drinking this kit. I used 1kg of brew enhancer 2 with mine. Fermented for 8 days. Was hot then thoe so maybe a lil longer for yourself. I then primed each bottle with 1 coopers carbonation drop to each 500ml bottle.
Says not to drink for about 3 months i think. But i promise after the 2nd week if you try it. You wont have any bottles reach anywhere nr 3 months. Bloody lovely!
Ill be buying another.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Chris

I've just sterilised my kit so ready to start brewing tomorrow.
I used 2 carbonation drops per bottle in my first kit which was coopers lager. Is that a bit excessive for this kit?

The wilko one you suggested was sold out hence the reason I'm trying this on.

Cheers
JP

I couldnt say if 2 drops would be too much or not as ive not tried adding 2. But 1 drop was plenty after a couple od weeks conditioning.
Managed to get myself drunk on the wilko pilsner last night. Oops :)
What do you think of the coopers lager you already done? Is it with yhe green cap? Did it come out ok?

I'll give it a bash with the 1.
Aye that was the 1 thought it was very nice but the head disappeared quite fast. I needed up drinking them in half pints.
I added water to my FV last night to see what temperature it would be at this morning and it was 22 degrees. You said you brewed it when it was warm, was it around that temperature?

Coopers European uses a proper lager yeast, that ideally ferments at a much lower temp than the ale yeast that comes with other Coopers lagers. Personally, I think it's way too warm to do this at the moment, normally do mine mid-winter when I can put it somewhere around 12C for a few weeks.

I just ran out of lager so have put on a Coopers Australian Lager, which uses an ale yeast so is much happier at summer room temps. Don't get me wrong, the European is a cracking lager, just needs cool fermentation.

Wish I looked at this a few days ago. I put this in the fv on Saturday it's currently sitting at 22 strong stench of egg kicking about when I got in from work.
The OG was 1037.
I'm really looking forward to this even though I may have messed it up.

Yea mine was about that temp maybe even a lil higher. Lager yeast does require lower temps but mine came out good.
My missus put her ironing nxt to mine during fermentstion. All her work clothes stunk of egg. I got a royal rollocking. Still makes me smile thoe.:)

Haha is just got in from work had to open the windows just as we'll I got in first today. Managed to get it between 18-20 by using ice pack I have. Will test it on Friday and Saturday to see the FG

So just checked my lager and the gravity is at 1012 the OG was 1037 so coming on nice.
That has been 6 days in the FV. There is till a bit of an egg smell kicking about though.
When should I think about bottling this? Also there is a very thin layer of foam on at the top of the lager.

Thanks
JP

Try to have patience with this one, i have done quite a few of these and after the 12 weeks it is mind blowingly good. it is drinkable before but the longer you leave it the better it gets.

My lager was in the FV for 2 weeks and when bottling it looked very cloudy but tasted fine.
Is that normal? Also is there a limit on how long the lager should be in the FV?

Thanks
JP

So after 2 weeks in the FV and bottled for 2 weeks I have tried my first bottle of this and I am delighted. It is so good.
I was worried this was in the FV for too long as it got a wee bit cloudy but it is brilliant and would recommend it to everyone!!

Latest posts

Back