Use up Hops IPA/APA/PA recipe - Advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
This started as a Sierra Nevada clone, but then I found I had not enough Cascade left but did have a few opened packs of hops that I wanted to use up. I'm now aiming for a really well balanced malty and hoppy beer so amupping the % of Munich and going to use Simpsons DRC Malt in place of crystal (Supposed to be like Special B, thats why it is in the recipe below).
Would appreciate an comments on this recipe, intending to mash around 68 to keep a bit of body as well...

I also have a decent amount of Williamette and Perle as well, if anyone can suggest a better way to use all these hops I'm open to suggestions!

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 24 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.8%
IBU (tinseth): 40.23
SRM (morey): 11.79

FERMENTABLES:
3.7 kg - United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row (69.8%)
0.9 kg - United Kingdom - Munich (17%)
0.3 kg - United Kingdom - Wheat (5.7%)
0.4 kg - Belgium- Special B (7.5%)

HOPS:
10 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 13.5
30 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.35
20 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.36
30 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 11.01
30 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 68 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 12.5 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.5 L/kg

I did an IPA along similar lines last weekend, and for the first time I added my flame out hops once the temp had dropped below 75. Kept them in there for 30 minutes then transferred to a FV and cooled.

Apparently you get less bitterness and more hoppy taste below this temp, as the flame out temp is still high 90s.

Looking at your hop bill i would add the 30g Chinook with the Cascade after flame out and below 75 degrees if you are after an APA.

I did an IPA along similar lines last weekend, and for the first time I added my flame out hops once the temp had dropped below 75. Kept them in there for 30 minutes then transferred to a FV and cooled.

Apparently you get less bitterness and more hoppy taste below this temp, as the flame out temp is still high 90s.

Looking at your hop bill i would add the 30g Chinook with the Cascade after flame out and below 75 degrees if you are after an APA.

Do you mean add the Chinook, Columbus and Cascade all after flame out? I have upped the Magnum a bit to bring the biterness up to 50 and was going to dry hop with 40g of Willamette as well?

you could leave the cascade as it is, and if you fancy dry hopping with williamette is there any chance you can split the batch, half dry hop and the other half not.

that way you can get a direct comparison when you drink a bottle side by side, split batching will certainly help you find which direction you want to go with your beers.

Upping the magnum will increase bitterness which might well be balanced by a below 75 degrees flame out addition of chinook/cascade.

good luck cant wait to hear how it turns out :thumb:

After advice on another forum I reduced the dark malt to 2% will do as you say though, add he chinook and cascade at 0 mins and will split the batch as well

Personally, and this really is simple preference, i'd use Magnum and Chinook to bitter (60 and maybe 15min additions) and the rest in dry hop (Centennial at maybe 5 days, Cascade at 10 and Columbus a few days prior to bottling).

Otherwise this looks like a good APA/IPA hybrid to me.

Edit: i'll add that i like my APA/IPA/DIPA etc. to be massively aroma-centric followed by pleasant but not mouth-puckering bitterness. I also prefer syrupy, caramel-candy DIPA as my drink of choice...

Latest posts

Back