Me, Mini Kegs and the Party Star Tap (A tragic Tale)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
I don't know what it is with me and these things. I bought a couple towards the end of last Year. I kegged a Kolsch, which was OK, but I had some trouble with the tap and the CO2 capsule and it ended up going flat very quickly. I'd bottled half the batch and I much preferred the bottled brew.

In January I kegged half a batch of Cascade Pale Ale. The bottles are all gone, but I left the keg and I've just plunged the tap in. The keg had been living in a cupboard in my garage and I moved it carefully into the kitchen. I drew off a sample and this is what I got..

2016-03-12%2012.11.47.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

An absoultely disgusting, murky dishwater, with no discernible taste at all. Nothing like the bottled batch :-( It's such a shame as I know others have a great experience with this set up, but I think I might just give up on it.

I am yet to open a keg now and a little worried. Did you follow robs guide?

As much as was necessary to sanitise and prime a brand new Keg and put a bung in it.

The only thing I can think of is even just a little movement has disturbed the sediment and the dip tube is just sucking up crud, so i'm going to let it sit for a couple of days to see if things settle down. However, I was as careful as I could be when moving the thing and I can't imagine it would have disturbed things too much.

I've been using mine for Weizen style beers, so can't comment on take-up of sediment being worse/ better. My latest Dunkelweizen was in 2 minikegs and 2 bottles (swing top). The bottles looked like the photo above, the kegs really well carbonated. Having had poor carbonation in bottles previously I'm now concerned about bottling any beer (I know it's something that I'm doing wrong) and am stashing it in minikegs or PBs wherever possible.

I've been using mine for Weizen style beers, so can't comment on take-up of sediment being worse/ better. My latest Dunkelweizen was in 2 minikegs and 2 bottles (swing top). The bottles looked like the photo above, the kegs really well carbonated. Having had poor carbonation in bottles previously I'm now concerned about bottling any beer (I know it's something that I'm doing wrong) and am stashing it in minikegs or PBs wherever possible.

It's funny, isn't it, how some things seems to work for you and others don't, while other brewers swear by the things you have problems with!

My problem areas are PET bottles (given up on them) and, seemingly, Mini Kegs. Whereas swing top bottles, with the exception of a small issue I've had recently, related to my sanitation regime, have worked brilliantly for me, with great beer and consistent carbonation levels.

I suppose it's a case of going with the hand you're dealt with!

+1 for bottles, this morning I had to change taps on a 25 litre plastic barrel as it was leaking.

All these " kegging options" are great while they work but the is more to go wrong than there is with a bottle and much more beer to loose!

Cornies? People say they are great, move to them straight away, they are easy to fill but you need :-

Gas
A regulator
Connectors
A spare freezer
A second one (empty) to sanitise the first easily
A good supply of spare "O" rings
A tap to dispense from.

When you have all that your good to enjoy the sport of leak hunting.

No you can't let your dog help, don't you know hunting with dogs is banned?

There is a LOT to be said for bottles, I know they take time to wash, sanitise and fill but there is so much less to go wrong.

Aamcle

I'm really happy with my MK so far. I bought another 4 last week (so now I have 8). I haven't bothered with the party star tap as I'm quite happy with intergral gravity tap

I'm really happy with my MK so far. I bought another 4 last week (so now I have 8). I haven't bothered with the party star tap as I'm quite happy with intergral gravity tap

I know there are plenty of brewers who think they are great, which makes it even more disappointing that (I'm most probably) doing something to spoil it!

I just went out to the garage where the keg has been sitting since yesterday morning and I poured a half. In fairness, the beer is OK, however it's still really cloudy, far cloudier than the bottled half of the brew and not as tasty.

I'll leave it for a few more days to see if it clears down further. The good thing is, the beer isn't completely spoiled, so I'll raise a murky beer to that at least :)

Ok, I have to make an addition regarding my woes with kegs! Since the original message in this thread, I have left my mini keg in the same place in the garage without moving it.

I've drawn a few halfs from it over that period. Today I drew a half and the beer came out clear. Why it's taken so long to clear down, I don't know, but it seems my first half was just a yeasty suck up that I perhaps should have chucked!

Also, I seem to have got the hang of the CO2 tap, as the beer still tastes very fresh. I have to admit though, that this Cascade Pale isn't my finest AG attempt, so that might have added to my impressions!

Whilst I'm on it, I've left Star San in my empty keg for ages (weeks) and only realised tonight! I know it's strong stuff if left in contact with things for too long. Is there any chance I've damaged anything by leaving it in for so long?

I wouldn't keep any star San in them. Even diluted, it reacts with aluminium and I don't suppose it does the rubber seal around the bottom tap much good either.

I'm not saying I'm right, just that I wouldn't do it. Try spraying some star San solution on tin foil and see what happens.

I always use a Pyrex jug to rehydrate yeast and leave the boiled water to cool down, covered with tin foil. Like you, I always spray with star San, but noticed it has reacted a few times (I seem to remember on the non shiny side).

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't eat through it, but I wouldn't want it in contact with my kegs for a sustained period.

Star San - "ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Dodecylbenzenesulfonic Acid - 300ppm and Phosphoric Acid - 780ppm"

I use phosphoric acid to remove rust from my Landrover, and it eats concrete :lol: So yes it will remove rust stains, eat metals and swell some rubbers. It likes zinc plating very much!
The other sulphonic acid part looks like it is a biodegradable detergent. - so will produce a foam. Neither are toxic, and there is more phosphoric acid in a bottle of coke than diluted Starsan. They are right when they say yeast needs phosphorous so it is a nutrient.

Hydrogen peroxide would be an ideal steriliser as it decomposes to pure water and they use it for that in the US, but over here they would look at you funny and call the police. :doh: The closest we can get is Sodium percarbonate (peroxyhydrate) which will leave a bit of chalk as well as water. Metals usually rust in an acid environment, so I would leave a residue of an oxygen based cleaner in there instead. Eventually you will get inactive chalk.

Back