Experience with yeast bay Vermont ale yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just received some Vermont ale liquid yeast from the Yeast bay to experiment with.

I'm looking for any feedback and knowledge from any of you guys who has played around with it before.

Malt bills, hop combos, mash profiles.

All info and knowledge gratefully received as I want to run a brew on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@garethhuwwilliams is the man to ask about this as afaik he's the only forumite that's posted here about his exeperiences with it. He's dossing about on the idle of wight at the mo

@garethhuwwilliams is the man to ask about this as afaik he's the only forumite that's posted here about his exeperiences with it. He's dossing about on the idle of wight at the mo

Ahh the isle of widgit.

I'm sure he's having a great time. Although the whole time he's thinking "I reckon I could just squeeze a brew in when We get back"

I'm a week into my 1st brew with this yeast, so can't really speak from experience, but it should be good in pretty much any hop forward beer from what I've read.
Low attenuation seems to be a common complaint, so you might want to mash low to help dry out the beer. I've followed the instructions and have increased FV temp after a few days to help improve the attenuation - will be interesting to see how its done when I check in a week or so & will report back on the FG.

Ahh the isle of widgit.

I'm sure he's having a great time. Although the whole time he's thinking "I reckon I could just squeeze a brew in when We get back"

Certainly am! On both counts.

Use this in hop forward beers basically. It sort of pushes hop fruitiness to the front but with a sort of softness. Hard to define. It also adds peachy notes and an unusually creamy mouthfeel.

I had no issues with attenuation but I was lucky enough that ambient conditions for my fv at the time were spot on, cool at 18c to start then I moved the fv to somewhere a little warmer after four or five days.

Planning to culture back up from bottles and make it my standard yeast for hoppy pales

That's interesting about the creamyness. What did it do from a malt point of view? Did it make a more malty finish or a more crisp finish based on the temps have you mashed at with it?

And what malt bill and hope have you tired with it?

I was thinking of trying a citra/motueka/centennial/Amarillo combo on it but can't work out if I should go malty IPA malt bill or crisp pale malt bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just bought some from The Malt Miller to use in a fruit-forward Northeast-style IPA, ordered using the receipt creator.

Bittering with Magnum and then 5g/L total of Rakau, ADHA-527 and Mosaic at flameout, then dry-hopping with the same (I'm sure I ordered more to get 6.5g/L, but having checked it didn't go through).

The idea is for lots and lots of stone fruit. I may add some Mandarina Bavaria at dry-hop if it could do with a touch more citrus.

I've just bought some from The Malt Miller to use in a fruit-forward Northeast-style IPA, ordered using the receipt creator.

Bittering with Magnum and then 5g/L total of Rakau, ADHA-527 and Mosaic at flameout, then dry-hopping with the same (I'm sure I ordered more to get 6.5g/L, but having checked it didn't go through).

The idea is for lots and lots of stone fruit. I may add some Mandarina Bavaria at dry-hop if it could do with a touch more citrus.

Stone fruit approach. Nice. You in the bottle swap? Citrus fruit forward Vermont versus stone fruit forward.

I will probably be kegging, but may bottle a six pack at first, so will happily swap you a bottle.

Hopefully will brew on my day off on Monday, pending level of hangover.

That's interesting about the creamyness. What did it do from a malt point of view? Did it make a more malty finish or a more crisp finish based on the temps have you mashed at with it?

And what malt bill and hope have you tired with it?

I was thinking of trying a citra/motueka/centennial/Amarillo combo on it but can't work out if I should go malty IPA malt bill or crisp pale malt bill.

I probably wouldn't use a Pilsner base with this yeast. The creamy softness it lends would make it a bit pointless and I think the flavour of a pale malt base (I used mo) would be better. That said I haven't tried it with Pilsner to compare.

I probably wouldn't use a Pilsner base with this yeast. The creamy softness it lends would make it a bit pointless and I think the flavour of a pale malt base (I used mo) would be better. That said I haven't tried it with Pilsner to compare.

Brewed today. Crafted a MO, Vienna, Munich, Flaked oats, Cara pils and light crystal recipe. Went for the mosaic, citra and Amarillo combo too. All numbers hit (1.050) with 23 litres in the fermenter.

Thankfully I spotted the Vermont yeast I received from Brewuk last week was a bit (quite a bit to be honest) old so I knocked up a starter with the wort to 1.039) and hopefully I'll pitch it tomorrow. Yeast smelt ok so hopefully it should be good enough to get a starter going and get it back up to pitchable cell count.

Bit disappointing that Brewuk are receiving yeast from the states with only 3 months on the best before date tho.

Can't wait to see what this comes out like. I'm hoping its that good it becomes my go-to IPA yeast.

Edit : I now read the (very) small print and work out the "best before" date is actually from 4 months of packaging. Doh!! What didn't help was it was in one of the old style vials. Never mind I'll pitch tomorrow and hopefully away she should go with no I'll affects.

Top cropped and harvested the yeast cake tonight. A really good krausen had formed. And the fermentation has raced away even being set at 18oC since I pitched the starter 2 days ago.

Interestingly though I got a certain "sweet funk" smell from the wort while I was skimming. After other bad experiences from yeast going bad in starters, and not ever used this yeast before. Anyone else smelt this from the Vermont yeast early fermentation?

Sounds like a Vermont yeast bottle swap is on [emoji1303]

That's a great idea - I'd be up for it. I'm kegging/bottling my 1st Vermont creation this weekend & early signs are promising.
:cheers:

I'd be up for it with either my eldorado or Amarillo / eldorado. The Amarillo is probably overall nicer, but perhaps predictable with the Amarillo. The eldorado is really good too though, and interesting with pear and other fruit going on.

Where can I get suitable packaging for posting bottles?

I don't recall a funky smell and I'm a rampant airlock sniffer. All I got off mine was the ton of hops. Though mine was fermented much cooler which may have had an effect of keeping esters etc under control. I did a starter for mine too and it went off very quickly.

It's definitely going to be my go to IPA / APA yeast.

I've done 2 Vermont brews in a row, re-using some of the yeast cake - so could potentially swap 2 lots. Bottling day for brew 2 is still at least 2 weeks away, but its gonna be a 7%ish beast.

All right then, this is at least 5 Vermonter Brewers that are in [emoji1303]
I think Notlaw has access to some bottle carriers suitable for postage. 3 for £6 I think. He was running something on another bottle swap.

I have been fermenting mine from 18oC for the first 6 days and I've just upped it to 19.5 to finish it off. Exactly for that reason of keeping esters under control. My starter raced away too. Maybe I'm just being paranoid from previous experiences of starters gone bad.

Looks like we are about 2-3 weeks away from a swap happening so we may get a few more Vermont experimenters on board for a bottle swap.

Mine is a citra/mosaic combo. Amarillo sounds great. I've got a packet of elderado to experiment with so any info on that hop would be great.

Latest posts

Back