ccsueIPA's IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that cc :cool:

Does the corriander come through much?

Wez said:
Thanks for posting that cc :cool:

Does the coriander come through much?

This will be the first batch that I have it in - my research say that it can easily become a potent additive and to be careful with yer amounts... This is why I left the second 2 Tablespoon as seed. (not crushed)

I am hoping for gentle notes that will pair well with the orange.

A T said:
Yea it is an interesting looking recipe but why 2 Tablespoon Irish Moss and why at 30 mins?

I am working towards a level clarity - I know most wait till the last 15 mins but this was a recommendation from a good friend - so I gave it a go.

ccsueIPA said:
A T said:
Yea it is an interesting looking recipe but why 2 Tablespoon Irish Moss and why at 30 mins?

I am working towards a level clarity - I know most wait till the last 15 mins but this was a recommendation from a good friend - so I gave it a go.

Again that is very interesting, let me know how it works out.

A T said:
ccsueIPA said:
[quote="A T":ij71qamt]Yea it is an interesting looking recipe but why 2 Tablespoon Irish Moss and why at 30 mins?

Again that is very interesting, let me know how it works out.[/quote:ij71qamt]

Thanks - I will let you know for sure... I am excited for this batch.

2 more weeks to condition and maybe 3-4 more in the bottles and I should be a happy camper. (fingers crossed)

First bit of controversy from me . . . . its not an IPA :eek:

IPA were pretty much all pale malt, and goldings/fuggles

This is an American Pale Ale . . .Looks like an interesting beer though If cascades and spices are your thing . . . . they just don't do it for me

Looks like an interesting recipe although I would agree with Aleman; not an IPA.

I'm considering making a wit so would be interested to hear how the coriander and orange come through in those quantities.

/Phil.

Aleman said:

This is an American Pale Ale . . .Looks like an interesting beer though If cascades and spices are your thing . . . . they just don't do it for me

Maybe I should have given it the label "American" IPA - would that somehow make it less controversial? It is in fact an IPA. Or at the very least, this is my version of an IPA and that is what makes home brewing so much fun and rewarding.

Brewing celebrates creativity! Right?

I'd agree that it's not EXACTLY an IPA-not so much the grains but the orange and coriander. That's not an American Pale Ale(classicly) either. I'd call it a C&OPA :lol:

Whatever though. As you rightly state-you can call it whatever you want as you have invented it, brewed it and your gonna drink it. Good on ya.

I'd leave out the orange and coriander myself and use them for the dinner that i'd eat to help soak up the brew. ;)

Good to have you on the forum. :clap:

ccsueIPA said:
Aleman said:

Maybe I should have given it the label "American" IPA - would that somehow make it less controversial? It is in fact an IPA. Or at the very least, this is my version of an IPA and that is what makes home brewing so much fun and rewarding.

The label you give it tells the drinker what to expect . . . Deuchars IPA is not an IPA, Victory Hop Devil is not an IPA. IPA's had bags of malt and for export were massively hopped, with the traditional varieties of hop (Goldings and Fuggles). According to Amsinck in Practical Brewing OG's would have been in the range 1.060 - 1.075 and hopping rates upwards of 6 and 1/2lbs per barrel (with a 12-18 month maturation period :shock:) . . . Of course English Pale Ales (Effectively the same beer but less aggressively hopped) were hopped at around 3 1/2 lbs per barrel. Modern American Pale Ales (For America does have a tradition of brewing fine Pale Ales in the late 1800s- prohibition) are aggressively hopped big bitter beers that are traditionally (;) ) drunk young, and cannot compare to a traditional India Pale ale

Aleman said:
ccsueIPA said:
Aleman said:

The label you give it tells the drinker what to expect . . . Deuchars IPA is not an IPA, Victory Hop Devil is not an IPA. IPA's had bags of malt and for export were massively hopped, with the traditional varieties of hop (Goldings and Fuggles). According to Amsinck in Practical Brewing OG's would have been in the range 1.060 - 1.075 and hopping rates upwards of 6 and 1/2lbs per barrel (with a 12-18 month maturation period :shock:) . . . Of course English Pale Ales (Effectively the same beer but less aggressively hopped) were hopped at around 3 1/2 lbs per barrel. Modern American Pale Ales (For America does have a tradition of brewing fine Pale Ales in the late 1800s- prohibition) are aggressively hopped big bitter beers that are traditionally (;) ) drunk young, and cannot compare to a traditional India Pale ale

Thanks for your input — it has been more than informative and has given me a lot to think about as well as research.

Cheers

cc

Back