More British Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been on a British beer binge now for a little while as I truly love a good ESB, but also really like your IPA as it contrasts so starkly to ours, a northern brown, a stout or porter, and a barley wine. I also really like a Scottish beer and Irish red.

So I've bought Old Speckled Hen, Fuller's ESB, Trooper (Iron Maiden), Wells Bombardier, Samuel Smith's IPA and oatmeal stout, and New Castle brown.

This time I bought more Fuller's ESB, as well as their London Pride, and Boddington's Pub Ale, which I'm unhappy to find that InBev owns as I don't like supporting them or their business practices. Oh well...

Trooper is a lovely drop. Had a pint of London Pride yesterday and it wasn't great, strange because I like it from a bottle.

If you like brown ale try and get hold of double maxim.

I love London Pride. Living in London it is of course all over the place. Pride is my 'house bitter' but every time I make it I mess about with the receipe a bit . My latest batch that I'm drinking is about 40IBU (instead of 30) and 5%ABV (instead of 4%)

I bottled a Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout a couple of days ago. Tasted lovely out the bottling bucket can't wait till it's conditioned, I'm giving away a few bottles as Xmas prezzies. I've also got a Sam Smiths Taddy Porter in the FV at the mo.

I only seem to make English styles - perhaps I should branch out a bit

I've been on a British beer binge now for a little while as I truly love a good ESB, but also really like your IPA as it contrasts so starkly to ours, a northern brown, a stout or porter, and a barley wine. I also really like a Scottish beer and Irish red.

So I've bought Old Speckled Hen, Fuller's ESB, Trooper (Iron Maiden), Wells Bombardier, Samuel Smith's IPA and oatmeal stout, and New Castle brown.

This time I bought more Fuller's ESB, as well as their London Pride, and Boddington's Pub Ale, which I'm unhappy to find that InBev owns as I don't like supporting them or their business practices. Oh well...

Hi. I am originally from London, and I like all the beers you write about. You may already know of these books but I shall mention them anyway. You can get some great recipes from them.
Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz. " Brew Your Own Real Ale at Home." Also several books by Terry Foster on Pale Ale, Porters and Stouts. There is a great booklet with recipes dating back to 1700s, "An Introduction to Old British Beers and How To Make Them." by Dr John Harrison and members of the Durden Park Beer Club. Durden Park has a web site and shows a couple of old British recipes. If there is a style that you like, I can search my recipe books for you, feel free to ask. Also my local library has been able to obtain many home brew books.:thumb:The image of the Vanilla Porter was brewed in Wisconsin. A really nice beer.

imagsnowdrift Vanilla porter.jpg

emil: Certainly appreciated, and you can bet that I will ask once I find something I certainly just need to know!

That book was recommended to me, and it's been added to my Christmas wish list. I hope I find it under the tree!

I have a book on IPA's which gets in to the history, and has several old recipes, and I'll certainly be asking questions when it comes time to try something.

Back