Fuller's ESB & London's Pride

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I tried an ESB followed by a London's Pride. These seem to quite similar. Is the ESB just a stronger version? What's the difference other than a little more alcohol and probably a little more IBU's?

Very nice beers! Also seem to have a similar flavor like Old Speckled Hen that I associate with Lyle's Golden Syrup.

Maybe I should've read the article then! :hmm:

I have read that they do ESB, London Pride and Chiswick bitter from three separate successive run-offs from a mash.

"Keeling and his crew blend back the two collections of runnings in various percentages to come up with their four different beers. Golden Pride, an 8.5% ABV barleywine, will have the highest percentage of the first, high-gravity, copper. On the other end of the scale, Chiswick Bitter weighing in at 3.5% ABV, would use the highest percentage of the second copper containing lower-gravity runnings. Falling in the middle are ESB at 5.9% ABV and London Pride with an ABV of 4.7%."

So Chiswick also tastes similar?

Yep! Just lower alcohol really. They all do seem different though, to an extent, strength seems to make a difference.

Pride is my favourite too, when you get a good pint on cask. Not often happens in Manchester, I lived in Harrow for a while though, and had a local where it was always tip top. Not much distance travelled.

Latest posts

Back