Dr Smurtos Golden Ale Partial Mash Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boiled for 60 mins and ended up with 12 L in the FV, which will be handy info for next 10L AG batch knock 1L off mash and sparge volumes and I should be bang on. Topped up to 23 Litres and ended up with 1.043 OG. Couldnt get it to cool very well in sink as tap water is barely below 20c at the moment so have put it in brew fridge at low temp to cool off a bit more before yeast goes in

Did you use the trick of putting 3x2L PET bottles of water in the fridge to use to top up the PM to target volume?

I saw a "dude" on a US video who puts "a bunch of water" in the fridge to cool his wort down. Around these parts, I guess 6L to the "bunch".

Cool trick. :hat:

That's a good idea, remembering to do it in advance will be the challenge though! Reminds me of a thought I had the other day though, how sterile do you reckon those bags of ice cubes are from supermarket?

That's a good idea, remembering to do it in advance will be the challenge though! Reminds me of a thought I had the other day though, how sterile do you reckon those bags of ice cubes are from supermarket?

Not very, I understand. I used to boil about 5L of water then freeze it. On brew day, I'd just chuck it into the boiling wort to both cool and bring to target OG

Yeah thought that might be a bit of a long shot! What did you freeze that much water in so that you could chuck it straight in the wort?

Another success story! Cracked a few of these open a bit early, couldnt resist with the hot weather, and its really nice. Rich caramel base with lovely fruity hoppiness from the amarillo. Its very smooth and easy drinking and has a nice bitter sweet balance. I am very happy to have transformed a budget 1 can kit into this, if anyone is in doubt about using the partial mash approach I think this is a good example of what can be achieved. Cheers :cheers:

2015-08-22 14.17.24.jpg

Back