Wye Valley Hereford Pale Ale (HPA) Clone Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spoken with the brewer at Wye Valley - a lovely chap who couldn't have been more helpful...he told me that Nottingham would be as good as anything, saying that a neutral ale yeast with no esters was the way forward.

He recommended to me that I add the Celeia at flameout, that 15 minutes was far too early and could lead to losing some of the aroma.

Cheers

Martin

Finally got round to this today. Can't believe I started this thread 9 months ago! Did the beer as written, only change is that on the Wye Valley Brewer's advice I added the Celeia at flame out. All went smoothly - still got to clean down, but 65% brewhouse efficiency I'm happy with!!

Cheers

Martin

This has felt a really chilled brewday. Pottering round the house...trusting the method I usually use without faffing or worrying at it.

really enjoyable!

Hope yours goes well too!

I know what you mean - I've done about 15 AG brews now using the same basic method, brew day is now a breeze

Having had a few pints of this with my dad at the swan hotel in Abergavenny (if you're ever in aber - God help you - the landlord in this hotel loves his beer and has great stuff on, quite forward thinking beers), I've got a clone planned. I'm going to culture up the yeast from a few bottles of hpa. Got my dad on standby to pick them up from his local supermarket closer to the time!

Let us know how yours turns out. I'm also planning to use the leftover target and celiea to do an elderflower ale later in the year. I reckon the elderflower will compliment the floral nature of this beer.

I'd forgotten this thread too, I did make it in the end as per the suggested recipe but forgot to report back.

The Wheat Malt was a good call and agree that you need more late hops, my Celeia addition was 15min from the end and it wasn't hoppy enough. I gave my mate an Extract version to do with the addition of flameout Celeia and it was much better (although being Extract didn't have the wheat, which detracted from it a little).

Going to have another go at this soon. All my local pubs have Wye Valley ales so it's one of my favourites.

I put this on again last week. Had a sample last night and it tastes very consistent with the batch I brewed before Christmas, which is excellent.

I'm not a hoppy beer fan, so the late hops in this are minimal. OG was 1.042 so it doesn't need much hop aroma for my palate anyway. But it's still 36 IBU, just mainly from the bittering addition. I've found Magnum to be possibly the best bittering hop I've used, and can't source Target locally.

Will be conditioned by end June :)

I put this on again last week. Had a sample last night and it tastes very consistent with the batch I brewed before Christmas, which is excellent.

I'm not a hoppy beer fan, so the late hops in this are minimal. OG was 1.042 so it doesn't need much hop aroma for my palate anyway. But it's still 36 IBU, just mainly from the bittering addition. I've found Magnum to be possibly the best bittering hop I've used, and can't source Target locally.

Will be conditioned by end June :)

Strangely coincidental since I made a thread about this but what do you think of this yeast?

Great for HPA, I've since tried it in an Elderflower Spring Ale, Dark Ruby Mild, Oatmeal Stout, Bathams type bitter and first gold bitter. All were good but it seems suit paler ales.

But it gives a nice clean fermentation and is fairly high attenuating. Also a fantastic top cropper

Thanks, that's all fair comment...looking again at my photo, it may have been 1008? It is a little stronger than I wanted TBH! I'm brewing this for a mate who is very generous with his boat....he loves HPA...should be just fine for a summer evening messing about on the river.

Martin

I'm not too fussed by ABV, anywhere between 4 and 5% for a pale ale works for me. The dark Ruby mild was pushing 6% but that was the style

Back