Kölsch recipe suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really pleased you liked it! I find I have no trouble with fermentis lager yeasts brewed at ale temps (although I've not used the Swiss style yet), never tried the Calilager before. MJs yeast can be really hit or miss I find.

I'll have to try this with carablonde one day and see how it comes out.

I've started tucking in already (2 days conditioning) as I haven't anything else to drink. A bit green but non the less really nice. I think the MJ Calilager yeast would be good for German style lager recipes fermented at ale temps as it is malt forward, so good for things like Marzens/Oktoberfests

I've started tucking in already (2 days conditioning) as I haven't anything else to drink. A bit green but non the less really nice. I think the MJ Calilager yeast would be good for German style lager recipes fermented at ale temps as it is malt forward, so good for things like Marzens/Oktoberfests

Perhaps the next steam beer/hoppy lager I make I'll try out this yeast.

On a bit of a different note, have you tried the MJ saison yeasts at all? I want to brew a saison sometime soon and was wondering about their French or Belgian ones. I have a batch with a White Labs saison yeast, but the bottles are getting to months old now, I'm not sure how viable the yeast is anymore.

Perhaps the next steam beer/hoppy lager I make I'll try out this yeast.

On a bit of a different note, have you tried the MJ saison yeasts at all? I want to brew a saison sometime soon and was wondering about their French or Belgian ones. I have a batch with a White Labs saison yeast, but the bottles are getting to months old now, I'm not sure how viable the yeast is anymore.

I've never made a saison and only ever tried one saison beer (a rye saison), so have never tried the MJ saison yeast. If you have some WL saison yeast in a batch of beer just culture it up like culturing up a commercial beer. Even better, if your planning to have a little session on the saisons just save the dregs from each bottle in a sanised jar, kept in th fridge then just make a starter with the yeast. It should be fine (or at most you should only need two steps)

I've never made a saison and only ever tried one saison beer (a rye saison), so have never tried the MJ saison yeast. If you have some WL saison yeast in a batch of beer just culture it up like culturing up a commercial beer. Even better, if your planning to have a little session on the saisons just save the dregs from each bottle in a sanised jar, kept in th fridge then just make a starter with the yeast. It should be fine (or at most you should only need two steps)

I do have a few bottles of it. Do you think it would be alright even after 6 months sitting in a bottle?

I used Mangrove Jacks M29 yeast for my Saison recipe and the beer has turned out fantastic :thumb:
Now I don't know if this is a ringing endorsement as such as I'm pretty new to all this home brew malarkey but as I say my Saison has turned out very well, with (in my opinion) a very authentic flavour, nice head retention and a hazy look. Both my wife and son have remarked that "you must make that again"
I can attribute this in large part to the yeast used.

Really pleased you liked it! I find I have no trouble with fermentis lager yeasts brewed at ale temps (although I've not used the Swiss style yet), never tried the Calilager before. MJs yeast can be really hit or miss I find.

I'll have to try this with carablonde one day and see how it comes out.

I'm really enjoying this beer (Mrs MQ liked it too and she normally only drinks wine). It's a shame I only made 7 (and a 330ml) bottles of it. I'm definately going to make it again. The only thing I'm going to change is to lighten the body as it's a bit heavy and 'ale-y'. So I'm either going to add some corn flakes/flaked maize (a la gunge) or use a yeast that's not as malty - I'm thinking notty fermented low (14C)

I'm really enjoying this beer (Mrs MQ liked it too and she normally only drinks wine). It's a shame I only made 7 (and a 330ml) bottles of it. I'm definately going to make it again. The only thing I'm going to change is to lighten the body as it's a bit heavy and 'ale-y'. So I'm either going to add some corn flakes/flaked maize (a la gunge) or use a yeast that's not as malty - I'm thinking notty fermented low (14C)

I'm really into the Munich helles and Bohemian pilsner styles, which I believe are entirely barley based. Augustiner helles is one of my favourite beers, and I do enjoy a proper Pilsner Urquell, so I tend to base my pils/helles recipes around those sorts of flavours.

Latest posts

Back