Woodford Werry tweak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to do a Woodford Werry after all the reviews I have read.
However I like being different so decided to go for a Werry tweak!
Full kit with the following added

30gms challenger hops made in to a hop tea
Added 250gms light DME
Made to 19l and beaten with a big placcy spoon for 10mins for aeration
Safale 4 yeast made in to a starter for an hour beforehand and dumped in at exactly 20c

Starting gravity 1055!!!!!!!
Wow, this could be a blinder - quite literally!
I'm going on holiday in a weeks time, so it's going to be in the fv for about 3 weeks before I bottle it, not sure why I used the sf4 yeast as speed isn't an issue I suppose, but I've heard loads of people complain about the Woodford yeast sticking and the sf4 is supposed to be good with a great taste.
I'm only at home for a week after that, then I'm off to Nigeria and the Malaysia for 2 weeks with work, so I won't get a chance to try this for at least another 3 weeks after bottling.
Can't wait for this one.

Fv has been quiet the last couple of days so decided to check the gravity... 1020
What is it with me and kits and 1020?????

Anyway, gave it a swirl and upped the temp to 22c over night and it's bubbling away again. Temp is back to 20c and it's got 2 weeks to finish up before I bottle it after my holidays.

Definitely looks like a winner. I tweeked mine in almost the same way, it turned out very drinkable. Keep us updated Nick :thumb:

Back from my hollibobs and it's bottled!
Finished at 1012 so I make that a cool 5% abv which is quite strong.
Absolutely crystal clear and I was a little worried all of the yeasts would have dropped out leaving it flat as a witches tit, so when I bottled it - I added 1 grain of gervin yeast with the sugar. Probably not required, but it made me feel better.
It's now got 3 weeks to condition before I can crack a bottle, but a quick crafty pint has led me to call this a superb success and a blooming good pint!

Back from my hollibobs and it's bottled!
Finished at 1012 so I make that a cool 5% abv which is quite strong.
Absolutely crystal clear and I was a little worried all of the yeasts would have dropped out leaving it flat as a witches tit, so when I bottled it - I added 1 grain of gervin yeast with the sugar. Probably not required, but it made me feel better.
It's now got 3 weeks to condition before I can crack a bottle, but a quick crafty pint has led me to call this a superb success and a blooming good pint!

Great work Nick, sounds like a winner, Wherry just gets better and better the longer you leave it.

Bumping this thread because I just found a bottle of my Challenger tweaked Wherry at the back of my stash and boy is it good after 4 months in the bottle. This is a great little tweak if you're a kit brewer but fancy playing with a few grains. It uses 1 of the Wherry cans, so just double up if you want to use both.

Mash 200g of Maris Otter Pale Malt and 100g of Caragold in a saucepan of water at 65C for an hour. Ideally use a small stockpot, give it a good stir at the start, mid-point and end. You could put it in an oven heated to min and turned off, the important bit is to try to keep the temp around a consistent 65C for an hour.

Strain the liquid into a stockpot and top up with boiled water so you have say 4-6L of liquid. Bring it to the boil, then boil 12g of Challenger for 20 minutes. After that, turn the heat off, wait 10mins, then add another 18g of Challenger and steep for 30mins.

Strain the liquid into your FV, add in the 1 can of Wherry, then top up with cold water to 12L. Use boiled water and/or ice cubes to get the temp to around 20C. The OG should be around 1044. Pitch the yeast (the single 6g pack from Wherry will be fine in this size brew) and ferment. 4-5 days from the end, add another 15g Challenger as a dry hop. When fermentation is finished, bottle and give it a couple of months to condition.

Back