Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaching the very end of my Golden Stag now and I have to say, those that say give home brew a long conditioning period, may have a point.

It’s over four months since I bottled it and it has cleared really nicely. More importantly, I actually thing the twang has all but gone. It’s now a nice beer which I think I would be happy to give to someone else.

My Cwtch is still very young and my American IPA is currently in the FV, but I think I’m going to have to buy more bottles so I can build up a stockpile and allow everything a good 3/4 months before I get into them. Just as my Golden Stag has reached its peak, I’ve run out!

Thanks a lot. I'm sure I could have asked this elsewhere now I know it's kind of unilaterally applied. Wonder why most instructions keep brew times shorter...maybe the least time needed to create a "passable" beer

Be aware though the longer you leave it the more yeast drops out of suspension and the long it will take you to carb it up in the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Golden Stag currently in a king keg. It went through a 10 day PF and then straight to the KK for SF where it has been for the last two weeks in the warm... Just about to cool it for drinking.

In the meantime I have been drinking St. Austell Tribute at my local and cannot help but notice a very close comparison with the Golden Stag...

After two weeks in SF the colour is identical, the clarity very similar and the taste... Well I don't know if I could tell the difference!

I must emphasise I'm comparing it to a pub pint... Not the undrinkable rubbish they distribute in bottles!

This has turned out to be an incredible brew... And according to previous comments it's going to get better with time! I'm a little dubious about this though as there appears to be a contradicting theory that suggests it loses it's hoppy nature the longer its left..?

So far so good..!

Well, i have spent the last hour reading all these reviews and i am now confident to say this will be my next brew!
I will probably start it this weekend, once i have cleared some room and bottled my St Peters Cloudy Stout

Latest posts

Back