Spice beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmnd

Reaction score
Watching a cooking program today, there was a discussion on beer making. The guy said that things you cook with can also be used in brewing. He highlighted, coriander, cumin and paprika. Has anyone experimented with this?

Watching a cooking program today, there was a discussion on beer making. The guy said that things you cook with can also be used in brewing. He highlighted, coriander, cumin and paprika. Has anyone experimented with this?
Used corriander a few time in wheat beers:thumb:

Used corriander seeds and lime leaves trying to make a beer to go with curry.

Cumin is a nice idea, curry flashed beer 😁

I've just finished making a Christmas Ale with cinnamon and nutmeg. It needs a good few weeks to condition, but I'll let you know how it drinks.
Roll on Crimbo.

Done a pumpkin ale last year with spice roasted pumpkins used cinnamon,cloves ,star anise and mixed spice. If needs a fair conditioning time but worked out ok. A nice seasonal pint. Mine was based on a coopers English ale kit. I have a John bull English ale that might get the same treatment. ...

I've just finished making a Christmas Ale with cinnamon and nutmeg. It needs a good few weeks to condition, but I'll let you know how it drinks.
Roll on Crimbo.

I'm planning similar - a gingerbread brown Ale. After a bit of research I've decided to take the Northern Brown Ale recipe from the bible, add a little biscuit malt, and some ginger, cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg.

I made a Chillie Beer, from a Wilco Pilsner base, in June last year. It tasted really nice but it wasn't suited for drinking on warm summer evenings!

For my next Chillie brew I have 500ml of homemade Chilli Vodka to flavour a winter beer before priming and bottling; instead of using 6 x Birdseye Chillies during fermentation.

Check out the link below if you've never sampled a Chilli Vodka.

http://www.absolut.com/en/products/absolut-peppar/

Served direct from the freezer, using frozen nip glasses ...

... it shows what "Warming the cockles of your heart." really means! :lol:

Roll on Crimbo.

I had tried a couple of bottles of my Christmas ale, 'Sleighwreck', back in about October and wasn't impressed; the spice was overpowering and it tasted faintly medicinal. But I tried another bottle tonight and it's true, patience is the friend of the home brewer. It was really quite pleasant; the spice is still evident, but it's nicely balanced and it tastes of, well Christmas.

So I've got about a dozen 330ml bottles for the family get together, and a few more just for me. :D

Merry Christmas Everybody.

ZAA==

beer tree.jpg

Back