St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe how quick the flavours are maturing for the St Peter's Ruby Red. Tasted it again last night after 2 weeks in the bottle (chilled for 2 days) and it's a completely different beer. Looking forward to seeing how flavours improve over the coming weeks.

I have published a video on YouTube about it... first time for everything! [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0sb5b9CZKg&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

great vid mate. I'm glad Urs came out the same color as Myn as the color on the packaging is a bit misleading.
I had a cheeky half of the beer bottling day (Fri) and can safely say this may well b e the best kit I've ever done and its very early days.
I'm thinkin the head retention is due to not enough priming sugar. how much did you use?

Chris

Cheers. Looking forward to seeing how this beer develops, drank a non-chilled one yesterday and the flavours were completely different. So always needs more time.

I had a load of muntons drops in the cupboard, so I primed with those (two a bottle). Next time tempted to transfer to a secondary and mix in dextrose. Will see! Love it that I now have about 2/3 months worth of beer in the house!

Just bottled a Coopers English Bitter so looking forward to seeing how the kits compare. But good to see your RR is looking promising!

that's a good amount of beer. have you made a beer that you're misses likes? that's the key to consistent uninterrupted beer making.
I would have thought two tabs each bottle would have given you better head but maybe an extra week in a 24c heat will solve it.
Im looking forward to Myn. I did tweak it a bit with some amber malt and roasted barley using GV12 yeast. also dry hopped. maybe I should have left it alone but as I wanted more than less (23litres) I just wanted to get the most out of it.

I would say be cautious with the priming, over priming or making an English style ale to making it a bit too fizzy can imo be a bit detrimental to it..

It is a good kit this 3-4 weeks in the bottle and you will have a very nice pint.

Yes ive over primed a wilko copper bitter which is drinkable but after three or so you really feel gassy. seems like a shandy but stronger ABV. I made the mistake of using 150g instead of the common 120g. I was watching a youtube vid (seller dwellers Gash) where the guy used 180g for an IPA. i thought id meet it semi half way to poor consequences.
It definately sounds like a beer that improves with age, im just glad i have two FV's now i can get another batch going to keep ahead of myself, what with the warmer evening's i can see more being drunk.
Covrich
How does this beer compare to the wherrys bitter? (my next attempt) i notice a youtube vid a guy compares the two to the commercial bottle. im guessing same grains but cant be sure.

Cheers

Yes ive over primed a wilko copper bitter which is drinkable but after three or so you really feel gassy. seems like a shandy but stronger ABV. I made the mistake of using 150g instead of the common 120g. I was watching a youtube vid (seller dwellers Gash) where the guy used 180g for an IPA. i thought id meet it semi half way to poor consequences.
It definately sounds like a beer that improves with age, im just glad i have two FV's now i can get another batch going to keep ahead of myself, what with the warmer evening's i can see more being drunk.
Covrich
How does this beer compare to the wherrys bitter? (my next attempt) i notice a youtube vid a guy compares the two to the commercial bottle. im guessing same grains but cant be sure.

Cheers

I only ever did 4 beer kits before moving on to the dark side, wherry wasn't one of them this one was.. I know they get compared though..

As for priming that does sound like a lot.. if its over what you can do it pour it into a jug let it settle then decant into your glass..

I learnt from an overprimed English pale ale that it being a bit too fizzy just wasn't right for the style so I had to start degassing them.

Just over three weeks into this beer conditioning and WOW! It has a really healthy head and the flavours are just great. For an easy kit brew, this is just the best. Dad tasted it at the weekend and said it tasted closer to a draught beer than commercial bottled stuff. Looking forward to seeing how it develops further.

Mikesoft

glad the head improved and flavour. myns at the same point in time as your last post on this thread. id say this beer will definitely be considered again. on my second now and im getting some lovely fruity roasted flavours. Head's not amazing towards the end of the pint but I think 1 or 2 more weeks and this will be a much improved (overall) beer.

Any updates on how it tastes now six weeks in? (or is it all gone!):-?

Mikesoft

glad the head improved and flavour. myns at the same point in time as your last post on this thread. id say this beer will definitely be considered again. on my second now and im getting some lovely fruity roasted flavours. Head's not amazing towards the end of the pint but I think 1 or 2 more weeks and this will be a much improved (overall) beer.

Any updates on how it tastes now six weeks in? (or is it all gone!):-?

Hey! I'm really enjoying this beer. It has a really nice head to it and the flavours appear to be getting slightly more complex, there is a slight pleasant sweet flavour coming through now. Although not a lot of this beer left! I'll certainly be doing this brew again. It was so quick to put this kit together and for the amount and quality of the final product, I'm impressed!

I popped one box load (24) back into the airing cupboard for an exta week, felt it was a bit on the thin side but can see a couple more weeks at room temp this being a nice session beer or just one to savour, got fruity, biscuity tones coming through. as someone posted on here its only problem is it needs 4-6 weeks before its at its best. im in no rush though i have have a coopers tweaked real ale to finish!:smile:

Hope youve decided youre next brew..

I second the notion 4 and beyond weeks conditioning makes this a stand out beer!
its reminding me of a slightly stronger banks 'mild'. fruity notes and a woody finish.
ill be honest now, I did add 100g amber and 40g roasted barley (cold steeped) along with 150g light brown sugar and a dry hopped (20g challenger) Im afraid ive become accustomed to 'mini mashes' which I don't have any intention of ending as its improved the quality of kits no f end IMO.

St peters will be safely on the list of kits to stick with:thumb:

Last edited:
Tried my first (and second!) of these last night, bottled 18th May. Brewed to 21l, with 250g light spray malt, and dry hopped day 7 with 15g EKG, then batch primed with 90g cane sugar. Blink in gorgeous! Fruity, rich, creamy, better than anything similar I've tasted. Definitely recommended if you like this style of beer.

couldn't resist a few yesterday (five weeks in bottle) and couldn't believe this is a kit beer. Tbh I'm noticing pints out less pleasurable than the last few I've made which I'm sure a lot home brewers have noticed.
still want to try the commercial bottle but its looking like the kit is better and that's without additional tweaks.
rickster- did you use the kit yeast?

ooh that would have been nice to hear how that turned out with the s-04. I've got two packs of coopers yeast I may try on my wherry.
the ruby is definitely one to recommend but I'm wandering for a beginner it would be too long to wait.

ooh that would have been nice to hear how that turned out with the s-04. I've got two packs of coopers yeast I may try on my wherry.
the ruby is definitely one to recommend but I'm wandering for a beginner it would be too long to wait.

I think the commercial RR was much darker than the kit, the kit I did looked as it did on the box but the original was very dark and much more bitter..

How do you think the s-04 would have affected it? Clear sooner and more solid sediment (not that I found either of those an issue with the kit yeast!)

Latest posts

Back