Hi from another newbie!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkady

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Arkady; I live in Walthamstow in east London. I used to brew my own mead about 20 years ago (very rough and ready - buckets and baker's yeast, nary an airlock or hydrometer in sight!) and have recently taken it up again, although I'm going about things more metholodically this time!

At the moment I've got four lots of mead brewing - a gallon of orange blossom mead, another of chocolate mead, a couple of litres of quick-brew orange spiced mead and a rather experimental batch of agave mead - mostly working out if it's actually practical to brew using agave nectar, to which the answer thus far seems to be a cautious "yes" though it's too early to say what the final result will be like.

I have plans to produce a "Scarborough Metheglin" with East Kentish Goldings hops, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and later on an acerglyn-based mead brandy using ice distillation.

I look forward to reading what everyone else is producing!

welcome to the forum ....mead mead bloody mead ...what beer not good enough for you ...bloody Romans..... only joking so you like mead then i take it :thumb:

Welcome to the forum Arkady.

You sound like you know what your doing when it comes to mead making. If you have any recipes share them with us, I'm sure many would like to see them.

Arkady said:
and later on an acerglyn-based mead brandy using ice distillation.

Before any of the mods see your post, please don't talk about distillation in any way, shape or form. Distillation is banned in the UK, and being a sensible law abiding forum, we don't encourage the 'D' word in any way. There are forums on this subject if you have a look on Google.

aneray said:
Before any of the mods see your post, please don't talk about distillation in any way, shape or form. Distillation is banned in the UK, and being a sensible law abiding forum, we don't encourage the 'D' word in any way. There are forums on this subject if you have a look on Google.

Fair enough - though ice distillation (jacking) is legal in the UK; it's how Brewdog are able to produce beers up to 45% ABV. But I'll keep schtumm on that one from now on. :thumb:

pittsy said:
welcome to the forum ....mead mead bloody mead ...what beer not good enough for you ...bloody Romans..... only joking so you like mead then i take it :thumb:

Oh, I like beer too, and I've brewed it before (and may well do so again at some point) - I'm just concentrating on the mead at the moment. :D

You seem a nice friendly lot - I think I'm going to like it here! :cheers:

with regards to the D word wether it is legal or not as a forum we do not allow any kind of discussion on the topic please refrain from the subject we are uk based and do not condone it in any way there are plenty of sites outside the uk where this is legal if you want to source them thats fine but not on here :thumb:
Thanks for your cooperation :thumb:
Oh and welcome to the forum :cheers:

Arkady said:
You seem a nice friendly lot - I think I'm going to like it here! :cheers:

You won't like it here, you will love it ;)

This forum causes many a complaint from SWMBO, I pay it more attention than I do to her most of the time. I'm glad shes at work while I'm typing this :D

Back