Pelforth Brun & Leffe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi. im looking to brew a leffe clone aswell however im having trouble getting a tried and tested recipe with mash times etc included. does anybody out there have any ideas?

After a modest success with my Pelforth Brune recipe I am now going to try for a Leffe Blonde clone. I am going to use this recipe I found on JBK by Mysterio as a starting point.

mysterio wrote:6 US Gallons

OG: 1.065, IBU 25

5kg pilsner malt
227g wheat malt
227g aromatic malt
680g cane sugar

25 IBU worth of Hallertau

White Labs Trappist Ale or Wyeast Belgian Ale

The spiceyness comes from the yeast

With this mash schedule

MASH IN 45°
50° FOR 30 MIN
63° FOR 60°
73° FOR 35 MIN
76° FOR 5 MIN

keep us informed on this one! When do the hops go in and his much each addition. I'm still waiting patiently to try the brune!

Hi Hobbins
I am going to try this recipe when we return from Thailand in a couple of weeks time and will post an update.
IPA

IPA said:
caerleon said:
Post away you have some followers on here whom would dearly like to try it!

Well here it is and it is very close to the original. I think the key ingredient is the Brewferm Special B and that is what gives it the unique taste. The sugar I used was Sainsbury's Light Soft Brown Fairtrade which is unlike most others in that it is almost white in colour. I cannot find an equivalent here in France so I will have to get some sent from England before I can brew it again. The recipe is for 19 litres

Pale Malt 7 EBC 3800 grams 74.9%
Wheat Malt 3.5 EBC 475 grams 9.4%
Brewferm Special B 350 EBC 550 grams 10.8%
Sugar, Sainsbury's Light Soft Brown Fairtrade 0 EBC 250 grams 4.9%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time grams Ratio
Northern Brewer Whole 8.2 % 90 mins 30 grams 75%
Styrian Goldings Whole 4.5 % 15 mins 10 grams 25%

Final Volume: 19 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 6.7% ABV
Total Liquor: 28.7 Litres
Mash Liquor: 12.1 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 80 %
Bitterness: 30.3059732527697 EBU
Colour: 81 EBC
Good luck to anyone tries it. Please let me have some feed back good or bad.
IPA

I'm going to have a crack at this soon, as the mother-in-law is bringing me some cases of Pelforth Brun back from France in a few days, after having single handedly had a go at drinking the region dry last summer when we were there on holiday.

As I notice you used Safale-04 and what temperature did you ferment at?

I was looking at a Whitelabs yeast WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast?

Also, can you use something other than Brewferm Special B?, I was looking at Rob's site(TheMaltMiller), and there is the DINGEMANS SPECIAL B PER 500G and for roughly the same EBC as the Brewferm there is WEYERMANN CARA AROMA MALT 500G

guyb said:
IPA said:
caerleon said:
Post away you have some followers on here whom would dearly like to try it!

Well here it is and it is very close to the original. I think the key ingredient is the Brewferm Special B and that is what gives it the unique taste. The sugar I used was Sainsbury's Light Soft Brown Fairtrade which is unlike most others in that it is almost white in colour. I cannot find an equivalent here in France so I will have to get some sent from England before I can brew it again. The recipe is for 19 litres

Pale Malt 7 EBC 3800 grams 74.9%
Wheat Malt 3.5 EBC 475 grams 9.4%
Brewferm Special B 350 EBC 550 grams 10.8%
Sugar, Sainsbury's Light Soft Brown Fairtrade 0 EBC 250 grams 4.9%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time grams Ratio
Northern Brewer Whole 8.2 % 90 mins 30 grams 75%
Styrian Goldings Whole 4.5 % 15 mins 10 grams 25%

Final Volume: 19 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 6.7% ABV
Total Liquor: 28.7 Litres
Mash Liquor: 12.1 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 80 %
Bitterness: 30.3059732527697 EBU
Colour: 81 EBC
Good luck to anyone tries it. Please let me have some feed back good or bad.
IPA

I'm going to have a crack at this soon, as the mother-in-law is bringing me some cases of Pelforth Brun back from France in a few days, after having single handedly had a go at drinking the region dry last summer when we were there on holiday.

Also, can you use something other than Brewferm Special B?, I was looking at Rob's site(TheMaltMiller), and there is the DINGEMANS SPECIAL B PER 500G and for roughly the same EBC as the Brewferm there is WEYERMANN CARA AROMA MALT 500G

Hi
I fermented it at 20° and Safale-04 worked fine.I don't think that you will be disappointed with the result. Last week though I brewed a batch with yeast recoved from a bottle of Chimay Rouge and I will post the result later but from memory it does not smell as close as the one with Safale-04.
Brewferm (Brouwland) rebadge Castle Maltings malt with their own name and Castle Maltings buy all of their special malts from Dingerman's so Brewferm Special B is really Dingerman's Special B and as they hold the patent on it nobody else makes it.So look no further spend your money with Rob. It is the Special B that gives the unique flavour and my advice is not to use anything else. If I ever run out of my own beer' which is not very often, I mix a bottle of commercial Pelforth Brune with a bottle of any cheap lager and the result is something that tastes very similiar to Newcastle Brown which is also a blended beer.
Good luck with the brewing
Ian

IPA said:
guyb said:

Hi
I fermented it at 20° and Safale-04 worked fine.I don't think that you will be disappointed with the result. Last week though I brewed a batch with yeast recoved from a bottle of Chimay Rouge and I will post the result later but from memory it does not smell as close as the one with Safale-04.
Brewferm (Brouwland) rebadge Castle Maltings malt with their own name and Castle Maltings buy all of their special malts from Dingerman's so Brewferm Special B is really Dingerman's Special B and as they hold the patent on it nobody else makes it.So look no further spend your money with Rob. It is the Special B that gives the unique flavour and my advice is not to use anything else. If I ever run out of my own beer' which is not very often, I mix a bottle of commercial Pelforth Brune with a bottle of any cheap lager and the result is something that tastes very similiar to Newcastle Brown which is also a blended beer.
Good luck with the brewing
Ian

Cheers Ian, that is extremely useful to know, I've done my own temperature controller, and have been testing it for a while now, so I will have a go at keeping it at 20degC.

:party: I can feel an order coming on!!! :-)

I forgot to say that there is a review of my Pelforth clone here on this forum
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32891
It was written by 'Diesel Jockey' Unfortunately the photos are no longer there. He has not posted in a long time anyone know what happened to him?
Originally brewed in 1921 in what the french call Les Anneés Folles ( the Roaring Twenties ) and named after a foxtrot dance called in French Le Pelican and made popular by the students in Lille. Originally called Pelican Forte ( strong pelican ) the pelican became the symbol of the brewery and later renamed Pelforth pronounced Pelfort. It is top fermented. This must be true because it is all on a special bottle the brewery has recently issued.

I'm still here IPA... :thumb: just lurking in the background. Got a lot on at the moment, came down with pneumonia 11 days back. Brewing as been on the back burner for a while now..(no pun). Funny how things work out only yesterday I was going over your recipe and thought about giving it another go asap. The reasons the the photo are missing is I've been in sorting my folders out. I should be able to edit that thread and add the new links.. :pray: fingers crossed.

edit...well that was easier than I thought...all now restored. :whistle:

Well, after 14 days in the fermenter, here's the first sample of it, before I run it into a fv for a 7day secondary.

A very well rounded taste, and lots of malt - not too far off the real thing! Very impressed.

Great colour, her indoors said it was nice too, and she doesn't like beer.

IMG_1260_zps9773325f.jpg
[/url]

Looks great. I have just brewed this using yeast recovered from a Chimay Rouge and I think that the SO4 gives a better result.Please post your thoughts when it has conditioned

Latest posts

Back