Converting an FV into a boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpt

Brewing without a hat
Reaction score
I've got a spare Youngs 30L FV that I could convert into a boiler. I've heard some comments that the plastic on the Youngs buckets isn't really suitable for a hot boiler, but this 30L one has much thicker and stiffer plastic that the 25L so I'm hoping it's ok. Has anyone done this?

Do I just use a flat wood drill bit to make the holes? Is there any problem fitting metal taps to plastic?

I haven't and certainly wouldn't. :) What temperature are they rated at. :) What I do know is that all of my old fermenters went brittle and broke without warning, not good if they are containing 25 litres of hot liquid. ;)
Some people, Grays I think is one, use those blue plastic drums, but again need careful checking out ;)
S

i've seen several people do it and be happy with the results. E.g. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33487

I personally don't like the idea of it. I'd screw it up somehow and kill myself! Make sure that the plastic walls of the fv are thick enough. If using tesco kettle elements ensure that the wiring is done safely and that the electrical thingymabobs are covered with some type of shroud.

some people use plastic taps others use metal. I think you're probably better going with the metal ones. I seem to remember people struggling to get a decent seal when using metal ones though so having to use a few washers??

Have a look through the equipment forum and there are several threads chronicling peoples conversions.

Latest posts

Back