Wychwood Brewery Hobgoblin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangeroverman

Reaction score
Hi hoping someone can help here, me fav beer is Hobgoblin and wondering if there are any kits that taste the same or near to this brew i can try..... :drunk:

just made a clone of this all grain....bloody lovely

My son-in-law gave me a bottle of Hobgoblin yesterday. Very nice for bottled beer, but not a patch on a good AG homebrew. I dont know if it is the filtering that makes it taste artificial to me, but I havent found a commercial bottled bitter that I like as much as my own. Now draught is a different matter and I have never made anything that came near Harwich Brewery Mild. (superb)

Wychwood's Goliath beer is a good pint to, better ale to drink if your with mates as its not as stong..
Got the **** took out of me one night due to falling of my chair after 10 bottles of Hobgoblin, they told me they had had 10 john smiths smooth, i now understand why i fell out of my chair and they did'nt (chemicals) eh. :lol:

where'ed he go? Come back and tell us what it was..... My brother-in-law has requested I make a brew
:cheers:

I don't know what piddledribble did but

I brewed this ages back, not using the BB kit but basically the same recipe. I think remember that it made a nice beer but it was one of my first AG efforts so I may have been a bit biased. Orfy's hobgoblin clone is pretty well regarded. I'm sure if you use the new(ish) and improved search function you'll find that somebody has brewed it and posted the recipe.

Is there any brew kits that are like hobgoblin ?

FV 1 & 2 Empty :shock:
Demijons Empty :eek:
King keg 1 Woodfordes Wherry coditioning :whistle:
Bottles " " " :whistle:
Bottles Honey Bochard :drink:
Bottles Treacle Ale :drink: :pray: :pray:
King Keg 2 Empty (just) :clap:

Sorry I haven't made any kits that I remember being like hobgoblin. I haven't brewed a kit in a while so I might be off the mark here...

I guess Coopers Dark Ale would be worth a punt, maybe with medium DME, maybe a bit of dark sugar (muscavado or something).

Alternatively you could start with a lighter bitter kit and steep some chocolate and crystal malt, maybe some styrian goldings.

Just having a pint of the "orfeys" hobgoblin with my lunch.
I brewed this back in Nov 2012 was ready for 26th Dec I must say its got better with age.
The only downside is there's only 6 bottles left!
Can't recommend this enough, comes out stronger than hobgoblin but once you had this proper hobgoblin just doesn't cut the mustard.

Sorry no kits that I know of but you can always try BIAB as your 1st step into AG brewing?
Doesn't cost that much to get set up. :cheers:

Hi Boldbrewer...... Any chance of sharing the recipe with a Hobgoblin fan? :hat:

Sorry I seem to have missed the updates on this thread...

My clone of Hobgoblin''''
Gob-hoblin 19litres abv 5.4% 60 min boil o/n mash

Marris Otter Malt 4.5kg
Crystal 80 400gms
Chocolate Malt 100gms
East Kent Goldings 15 gms 60 mins
Fuggles 15 gms 60 mins
Challenger 15 gms 15 mins
Bobek ( styrian ) 60gms 15 mins

Not saying its exact Hobgoblin, just my version and one I like.

piddledribble said:
Sorry I seem to have missed the updates on this thread...

My clone of Hobgoblin''''
Gob-hoblin 19litres abv 5.4% 60 min boil o/n mash

Marris Otter Malt 4.5kg
Crystal 80 400gms
Chocolate Malt 100gms
East Kent Goldings 15 gms 60 mins
Fuggles 15 gms 60 mins
Challenger 15 gms 15 mins
Bobek ( styrian ) 60gms 15 mins

Sorry to trouble you again. Could you answer a couple of points please.... Could I use the same ingredients in a 90 min boil and what does o/n mash mean?

o/n mash =over night mash

no problem with a 90 min boil or a 60 min boil, I up the bittering hops a little when I do a 60 min boil, so if you decide to do a 90 min boil with my recipe, drop the amount of hops slightly...Be guided by your brewing softwear

this will definately be on my list of to-do's. picked up a few bottles today along with old peculiar, newkie brown, and timothy taylor. good excuse for collecting empties :thumb:

danb said:
this will definately be on my list of to-do's. picked up a few bottles today along with old peculiar, newkie brown, and timothy taylor. good excuse for collecting empties :thumb:

Be careful with the clear bottles - from what I've learned on here, beer in clear bottles is open to "skunking" in bright sunlight...

Or you can keep them out of the sunlight in a box or summat ... :thumb:

:cheers:

its more or less official..... Timothy Taylor Landlord is the standard HOUSE ALE for PD's Brewery.... :D

Close run but it just got the vote at the end of an evening of tough decisions between my son and me.
Arkells 3B came second and the Wherry fell some way behind.

( next months review might be different....he heee )

Back