wine screw caps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas88

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to bottle my first batch of wine and have been given a few bottles that have screw tops, can I clean these and use them with the screw tops or use a cork in them? Thanks

Lots of people do. ISTR the caps won't last forever, but you should get a few uses out of them. I have half a memory I read it's possible to buy new caps when they do give up. The screwcap bottles are often a slightly different diameter to normally corked bottles so some corks are a bad fit in them - use the screwcaps.

As previously mentioned the caps don't last forever. Never re-used them myself but most of my bottles are screw cap, I just use corks but I use the Favorite brand as these seem to be slightly wider in diameter so fit OK. I've tried others and while they haven't leaked i have noticed seepage on the side of the cork.

Hi As I've got a large stack of bottles (150+) Nowadays I tend to just collect spare lids for when they wear out, saves a lot of space as well! (they can differ in thread but most including spirit lids are the same type ,called Stelvin caps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_cap_(wine)

I use corks in screw top bottles too. If you put the bottles on their sides straight away they sometimes seep. But if you leave them critical for a day or so they are fine. I do keep an eye on them thofu as the diameter of the bottle is a tad wider. But I've never had cause to regret using screw tops with corks

OK thanks for your help everyone I will hopefully be bottling in the next week

Back