reusable sanitiser?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyakameatloaf

Regular.
Reaction score
does such a thing as a reusable sanitiser exist?
I've been watching CraigTube and on a couple of his videos he mentions that when he sanitises something, he then simply pours the sanitiser back into it's bottle and reuses it over and over, and says that the brand he uses specifically mentions this is acceptable.

I dont know what to think of it, seems a bit farfetched to me. Surely whatever nasties come off during sanitisation would then be mixed in with the sanitiser? But then again, would they then be inert and not a problem? Surely the sanitiser would have to stop working at some point?

Anybody know about this?

The sanitiser that craig is talking about is called "starsan" ,many people use it and yes it can be reused.At the moment i have a batch n i used it 4 times up to now with no problems at all. If you look through more of his videos you will find lots more info on it .

cheers :cheers: hope this helps .

I pour videne solution between stuff. Until it looses it's colour. Not tried starsan, but don't see why you couldn't do it with both. They will have a limit though. But any bugs in solution will be dead.

I'm sure he will be using Star San.

I re-use Videne without problems.

THIS may be useful to you :thumb:

Starsan solution is an acid and this kills bacteria etc. As long as the solution remains below pH3 it will be effective. So you can keep reusing it as long as it is this acidic.

ah okay cheers guys.
Was getting sick of having to mix up a solution of VWP for sanitising hydro for every reading etc. It's a bit of a ballache compared to a pre-made solution.
The other thing I'm a bit confused about is this no-rinse business.
so, if we're assuming i'm using star san, i would spray it on, tip/syphon it out, and then I'm literally good to go? The minute amount of solution that will inevitably remain won't affect the flavour of my beer in my FV, for instance?

The main reason i ask is that in the first thread posted there is a sanitiser mentioned as no rinse, and yet it is apparently highly corrosive and will burn skin... surely if this is ingested even in minute amounts it can't be good for you?

andyakameatloaf said:
ah okay cheers guys.
Was getting sick of having to mix up a solution of VWP for sanitising hydro for every reading etc. It's a bit of a ballache compared to a pre-made solution.
The other thing I'm a bit confused about is this no-rinse business.
so, if we're assuming i'm using star san, i would spray it on, tip/syphon it out, and then I'm literally good to go? The minute amount of solution that will inevitably remain won't affect the flavour of my beer in my FV, for instance?

The main reason i ask is that in the first thread posted there is a sanitiser mentioned as no rinse, and yet it is apparently highly corrosive and will burn skin... surely if this is ingested even in minute amounts it can't be good for you?

It's perfectly safe, in fact it works best if you don't rinse it. If you use a squirty bottle or vinator it forms a foam which sticks to the surface, and you can rack / bottle etc directly onto the foam. Brilliant stuff.

The concentrated Starsan as supplied in its bottle is very corrosive but as long as you dilute it enough it is safe to use as no rinse. The residue is actually a food for the yeast. It can form a lot of foam - it's perfectly ok to rack your beer on top of this.

Back