Storing a harvested yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny69

Regular.
Reaction score
I've got a few gallons of cider on the go from this year's windfalls, all fermenting on their natural yeast. The apples in one of them can only be described as absolutely rank, so I'm expecting a pretty good cider out of that gallon. I'd quite like to re-use the yeast out of that one because it's probably teeming with all manner of desirable nasties. Do I have to re-use it immediately or is there a way of storing a yeast cake? Like if I were to decant the yeast after racking into a sanitised beer bottle with a bit of residual cider over the top and seal it up with a crown cap, I have no idea if it will sit dormant like that or if the yeast eventually dies.

there's a thread about harvesting yeast from Old Rosie - I'd follow the same process.

you have to do various settlings, and siphonings, and add AJ and nutrient I think, however personally before now, I've just poured the lees into an empty sterilised marmite jar and stuck it in the fridge. Several months later I added this to AJ, with nutrient, as a starter and it worked fine. I'm sure there are issues with this way though.

if you're ready, you could just rack the cider off the lees, and then pour the new juice straight onto the old stuff in the first DJ, and it should get going straight away.

Back