AG #8 Rochefort 10

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would rack off, leaving on the yeast too long can lead to off flavours + Belgian yeast usually takes ages to floc out. Just make sure the gravity has stabilized before you rack off the bulk of the yeast. T

You might also want to think of a glass carboy if you plan on bulk conditioning as oxidation is a risk with plastic buckets.

DD9357F4-1504-4403-9B1D-9C2B248899E3_zpsxqnncd2s.jpg

Morning!!! Someones been busy overnight lol

That looks great! The WY3787 did the same for a day or two and still had a thick head into the third week. A very healthy start by the look of it, assuming the temp is still fairly low at the moment.

skim the top layer off then come back later then skim the yeast off to be kept , will be in great health and the best of the yeast available , better than the trub . :thumb:

morethanworts said:
That looks great! The WY3787 did the same for a day or two and still had a thick head into the third week. A very healthy start by the look of it, assuming the temp is still fairly low at the moment.

I messed up on the temp I am afraid... I was meant to have it around 16c at the start but I started at 18c. Not expecting any issues as this is the bottom end for the yeast anyway, I think the idea is to slightly stress the yeast to give a wanted off flavour or something but never mind. I am sure it will be fine.

Will be slowly bring the temp up to 22c over the next couple of days.

pittsy said:
skim the top layer off then come back later then skim the yeast off to be kept , will be in great health and the best of the yeast available , better than the trub . :thumb:

The yeast isn't much use to me as I won't being doing another Belgian ale in quite a while. But thanks anyway.

has anyone ever had a FV explode :P

The lid is now deformed... Not sure what to do lol

Yep you need to fit a blow off tube. Pull off the loose upper half of your airlock and push tubing over the central pipe of the airlock. Run the tubing into a jug of water. Alternatively crack open the edge of the lid and just accept it will make a mess. T

Asalpaws said:
You might also want to think of a glass carboy if you plan on bulk conditioning as oxidation is a risk with plastic buckets.

Carboy isn't an option.

I have two corny kegs free at the moment. I was planning on using one of them for this and bottling the rest so....

Should I use both of them as a secondary given they won't let in oxygen like the plastic?

18 litres in one and 9 litres or so in the other. Secondary both the kegs for 5 weeks.

Will then prime the 18 litre keg with sugar and bottle the other 9 litres. Store for 6-12 months.

Thoughts ? Cheers

Asalpaws said:
Yep you need to fit a blow off tube. Pull off the loose upper half of your airlock and push tubing over the central pipe of the airlock. Run the tubing into a jug of water. Alternatively crack open the edge of the lid and just accept it will make a mess. T

Just went outside and had a play. I haven't enough roof between the lid and fridge roof to run a pipe...

I think the worse of it might be over. I just went outside and pushed the lid back in to shape slowly. Wenting a lot of Co2 as I went about it. Then took the lid off to have a peak and the foam is right up to the rim but seems to be retreating a bit now so thinking I might be past the worse now.

Will just keep a very close eye on it.

This looks a fantastic brew!
It's going on my list too.... (It's a long list BTW)
:thumb:

If it makes you feel any better...
:D
20131029_112952.jpg

I bought that big plant pot 'dish' to sit it in, but it's still messy. Ignore the airlock, that's just to plug the hole - the lid was loose from the start. I found that leaving the lid completely unclipped was preferable to an explosion. There was even a worrying bulge in the lid with a blow-off tube attached!

This is a starter here, but something like this:

20131023_093407.jpg

I don't have cornies to properly advise though I can't see why you couldn't use them, unpressurised. I imagine you'd check and release any slight gas production periodically. I see you're only 'crashing' to 10C for 5 weeks. Another option would be to just rack it to another bucket and just give it a week or two at 1 or 2C, assuming your fridge will get down to that. Obviously your beer will be a few weeks younger when you bottle it, but colder temps are meant to speed things up. I crashed my second tripel to 2C just for two or three days IIRC after 3 weeks primary and there is very little sediment in the bottles. Why 10C?

Everything has calmed down now... Some more leaking over night but nothing since then...

dx4100 said:
Everything has calmed down now... Some more leaking over night but nothing since then...

That's good news! The WY3787 (WLP530) calmed down a bit around now, but kept a pretty thick head for almost 3 weeks, turned up to 24C over the first few days and held there. It will be interesting to see what your Abbey II does.

Your OG was lower, so I'm not sure their expected FG figures are at all relevant - if they ever were! I don't quite see the point of interrupting the bulk yeast in its work 1-point from the end myself anyway*, though I know some like to rack off well before that in the hope that it protects the brew from infection, but this is not for that reason. I found it to be a one way street with the 3787, temperature wise - upwards. Even the carbonation took 3 weeks at 22C or just above, over a heated floor, though the beer was pretty bright when it went in. I'm not sure that 15C and the 10C will do much at all in those few weeks (if there are more points left to ferment than the recipe figures) though I will defer to anyone with more experience. I'd bargain for at least 85% attenuation in such a sugary wort, and possibly closer to 90 if my limited experience is anything to go by.

*maybe to leave some gas production in the secondary?

Holding it at 15c and 10c seems to be the done thing looking at what there is out there... No idea what makes those temps right...

Maybe everyone is going off what I am going off :P

Seriously depressing morning...

Took my first gravity reading today which came out at 1.016... Beersmith said I should get 1.017 and the recipe said 1.014....

So quite confident its near to or around its final gravity.

Now the disappointing bit... Its the wrong and colour and the taste is not right. Its lacks the smooth malty finish that Rochefort 8 / 10 has. Instead its got a slightly **** aftertaste with little or no malt profile. Although the first taste seems right its the finish that is just wrong.

Totally aghast at where I messed up. Here is a photo of the last of the sample tube and then some actual Rocherfort 8 for comparison.

The only plus point is I have a nice bottle of Rocherfort 8 to enjoy while I work today.

862F6FB1-FED5-471E-8A13-62C298710C14_zpsnpwbupsc.jpg

EDE8559C-6AAA-44B6-8410-2FC9BDA4AD27_zpsdcceuf2a.jpg

One of those days I just feel like ebaying everything and packing this in...

Now comparing to 8 rather than 10 given the lower ABV...

Dude, it's a big beer. Give it plenty of time, bottle it, and let it age for at least a few months. It's not going to taste like a Grand Cru after a week or two. Flavours will round out, the good stuff will become more apparent, and besides, that sample is clearly cloudy!

Chill out! You're gonna have an awesome beer, I can say that confidently with that yeast action! :thumb:

It's barely 9 days since you pitched it! That attenuation sounds about right for now. Mine took 3 weeks with a big starter of WY3787 I roused several times (down to the bottom) and was up to 24C by now - not sure where you're at with that.

Patience, definitely, regarding the FG. The colour may be off, and a properly bad after-taste would be more of a concern to me (even this early). Hope it turns out OK for you. :thumb:

I just racked it off the primary into a secondary... I was in a big ****** off mood so I hope I didn't cock it up...

But I just took a sample from what was left over and it would seem its much sweeter and malty further down the FV as this stuff taste way better! Still not the right colour but the taste is much improved...

Kicking myself now... I really didn't take as much care as I should of done transferring it because I was in a mood...

:( One of those days...

Thanks for your support...

Also I took another gravity reading and it came out at 1.014!! my head is tired now... I can't work out how a 1.016 sample would taste less malty than a follow up 1.014 sample... Maybe it was just slightly different temps...

Ah well... Lets see how it turns out...

I am also now slightly ****** :P

Latest posts

Back