AG #8 Rochefort 10

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learnt a lesson today...

I have done eight different AG brews and around about 11 overall (done the same ones a couple of times) and this is the first time I have tasted such a different between the taste at the top of the FV and the bottom of the FV... I suppose it kind of makes sense that the sugar content will drop somewhat to the bottom and more water to the top. I suppose with it being such a big beer its far more obvious with this one.

Anyone experienced this ?

I am also now slightly ****** :P

:D Well that's the trouble with 'sampling' these big beers along the way!

Well you're off the bulk yeast now so you might expect even longer (than the 3 weeks I mooted) for it to ferment out. Maybe someone else will chip in too, but I'd personally get that secondary straight up to about 24C and rouse every couple of days until you're totally sure the hydrometer is not budging at all. I really would disregard those original recipe figures, but it's obviously your call. It could be heading below 1.010 eventually.

Don't drop the lot while you're half-cut though. :nono: :whistle:

I am following the recipe at the moment which said transfer to secondary once you get around 1.014 and then drop to 15c.... for ten days and then 10c for five weeks...

Right or wrong I want to see how this ends up.... I don't doubt any of your advice though just to be clear, I just want to give a honest assessment on the original recipe!

I sampled in total three sample tubes and one full bottle of Rochefort 8... Light headed doesn't even come close to how I feel right now... Thats some strong stuff :)

I have not used that yeast but I have found that Belgian yeast can take quite a few days for the last few points to drop so I would be patient, as above I would keep the temp up to help the yeast finish it's job.

Also I will taste totally different when it's well carbonated, I would try for 3.5+Vols of CO2

Ok its been going at 15c now for 10 days and I just lowered it down to 10c which it will stay at for another five weeks now. Its at 1.014 sill.

The taste is defiantly much improved over that first worrying sample I had. Much more malty profile coming through and the taste is maturing nicely. Still harsh compared to where it should be but I suppose that will come with time. I am actually really excited about it now.

Its a bloody strong ale :P Just the sample jar make me feel all warm lol :P

Its not as dark as the real thing but its certainly darker than the first sample I took! but the taste is now heading in the right way :)

Really happy with it now :D

AB0C0B13-87FB-410A-A611-81A9B13ABE7E_zpstjewaln5.jpg

Well its finished conditioning now and time to keg / bottle :) Ended up with nine bottles and about 18 litres in the keg :) All tucked up now until November / December :)

It tastes great already :D Its actually very close to the real thing! My wife said... WOW, that is going to be a beast :D

The six weeks of conditioning have really brought it on :)

i2mvbq.jpg

So its been six months since my last post... I decided to crack open a bottle and see what the current state of play is at the half way point :)

15d309l.jpg

Its cracking!!! Some of that candy syrup is still yet to fully mature out but WOW its LOVELY!!!

All the stress and worry was worth it! Its just like a Rochefort!

The only issue is the carbonation / head. In the mouth its a nice feel but there isn't an head as you can see in the photo. Wishing I had used two carbonation drops instead of one. But its only a cosmetic thing to be honest.

I have 8 bottles and 19 litres in a keg left :) Next taste test will be December :)

Latest posts

Back