Nice easy All Grain recipe for a newbie?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensen

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good basic "safe" recipe for me to start with.
I do prefer light hoppy ales, so a recipe along these lines would be great, preferably something which will condition quickly, as i'll won't be able to wait ;)

Also, with the left over malt and hops, what's the best way to store them and how long will they keep?

:cheers:

what??? you mean you're not gunna give my rauchbier a go?!! :( :cry:

malt is fine kept in a dry dark place.

chuck your hops in a bag and put them in the freezer ;)

Townes IPA is a nice pale ale and very straightforward as it's a single hop beer. The recipe for my set-up is;

5500g Pale Malt
220g Wheat Malt
73g Cascade (6.8%) 90 mins
27g Cascade (6.8%) 15 mins

Something like S-04 would be a good yeast to use as it ferments quick and clears well.

I'm sure others will have plenty more to recommend. Enjoy :cool:

Thanks guys,

They both sound good, and both seem straightforward - now which one shall i choose :?

Brewstew - i'll definately give your rauchbier a go, but for its lack of varied ingredients i'm gonna go for Buzz's suggested Townes IPA for my first brew.

Gonna order the grain now - but where from :? :? - so many questions :D

When you say keep the grains in a dry dark place, is that ok for crushed grains?

That Towned IPA that Buzz has posted (although not really an IPA) is excellent.

I'd be tempted to stick 25g Cascade in to steep after the boil.

Get the wort down to 80c and turn the cooler off and chuck them in, leave to steep for 15 mins then put the chiller back on :thumb:

Hi, went to the HBS in wellington, Somerset, today for ingredients, but they'd shut down :cry: , but the local wholefood shop had bought the stock and are going to keep the homebrew side going, but alas they had hardly any ingredients, all I managed to get was

3kg MO malt
500g crystal malt
and a pack of fuggles

any suggestion what to do with this, not an ideal start I know, but at least its still in date ;)
Shame the HBS had to close Willy b's i think it was called

Jensen said:
Hi, went to the HBS in wellington, Somerset, today for ingredients, but they'd shut down :cry: , but the local wholefood shop had bought the stock and are going to keep the homebrew side going, but alas they had hardly any ingredients, all I managed to get was

3kg MO malt
500g crystal malt
and a pack of fuggles

any suggestion what to do with this, not an ideal start I know, but at least its still in date ;)
Shame the HBS had to close Willy b's i think it was called

Suggestion: Buy a kilo or so more MO malt and a pack of goldings and you've got the start of a standard english bitter there.

EDIT: Should have explained a bit. You won't get much alcohol or body with 3kg of malt, unless you're going for about a 15-18l batch.

Get some cascade and I'll give you the recipe for a stunning beer.

Hi James, thanks the reply

they didn't have any more malt, unless the out of date stuff they were trying to sell :x
As i'm planning on friday for my first AG brewday, i'll have to go with what i've got and do a smaller brew, I think i'll aim for around 18l, i'm can't wait any longer to go AG, plus the wifes away friday, back saturday, so I can pretend nothing's happened, what mess?? :D
Am I ok using just fuggles, and at what stage of the brew should I put them in?

Jensen said:
Hi James, thanks the reply

they didn't have any more malt, unless the out of date stuff they were trying to sell :x
As i'm planning on friday for my first AG brewday, i'll have to go with what i've got and do a smaller brew, I think i'll aim for around 18l, i'm can't wait any longer to go AG, plus the wifes away friday, back saturday, so I can pretend nothing's happened, what mess?? :D
Am I ok using just fuggles, and at what stage of the brew should I put them in?

You can use fuggles for both bittering and aroma but it won't be great. It will be drinkable though. I know Pictish Brewery have done one. Although I haven't tried it.

If I wasn't going away on holiday tomorrow I could have got you some stuff and posted it.

Anyone want to chime in with a fuggles only recipe? I don't have one. Or help him out??

TBH, I'd hold off until you can get other stuff, although brewing a fuggles only beer will help you work out the things that fuggles bring to a brew.

If no-one pops up with one, I'll do one tomorrow morning for you.

Cheers mate, i may hold on then until I get the right ingredients, after all i've gone 37 years without doing an AG, i'm sure I can wait a bit longer :(

or can I :D

Jensen said:
Cheers mate, i may hold on then until I get the right ingredients, after all i've gone 37 years without doing an AG, i'm sure I can wait a bit longer :(

or can I :D

It would be worth waiting, seriously.

Right, got some more ingredients, courtesy of my local microbrewery :thumb:

so all together i've got

7kg MO Pale malt
500g Crystal malt
100g fuggles
100g goldings
100g pilgrim

Shall I put them all in a big pan and pray :nono:

Any suggestions

I wanted to do the Towne IPA recipe, but couldn't get cascade :cry:

Jensen said:
Right, got some more ingredients, courtesy of my local microbrewery :thumb:

so all together i've got

7kg MO Pale malt
500g Crystal malt
100g fuggles
100g goldings
100g pilgrim

Shall I put them all in a big pan and pray :nono:

Any suggestions

I wanted to do the Towne IPA recipe, but couldn't get cascade :cry:

Would that be one of the ones in Wivvy??? :hmm:

Right then I think Marc Ollosons 100% satisfaction is the ticket for you, its simple and damned tasty

100% Satisfaction
23 litre
OG 1040 FG 1009
IBU 24 ABV 4 %

Pale Malt 4.5kg

Mash Liquor 11 litres
Mash Temp 65°C
Mash Time 90 mins

Goldings 75g 90 mins
Goldings 15g 15 mins
Irish moss 5g 15 mins

If you need a hand to scale the recipe, just shout and there will be someone on the forum to help. Also a good many of us have done this recipe and its great. Also if you need help and advice on simple brewing I can help out as my system is not disimilar to what you will be trying to achieve :thumb:

Cheers mate, i'll give that a whirl..
Is it crucial I use irish moss or any other finings, as I won't have chance to get any before my brewday on Friday?

Jensen said:
Cheers mate, i'll give that a whirl..
Is it crucial I use irish moss or any other finings, as I won't have chance to get any before my brewday on Friday?

No not crucial, its just about the cosmetics of your beer(it helps reduce haze). It will not effect the taste or enjoyment of your first AG :thumb: ©Wez

I did this last month, my be is AMAZINGLY cloudy even after flash chilling but it tastes really very good. I doubt it will last very long.

Latest posts

Back