Which malts to buy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daimo

Reaction score
Hello, I should hopefully start building my all grain setup this weekend and there's a few bits coming from a brew shop. It's the same place I'll be getting my grains and hops so I'd like to order it all together. I am a complete novice when it comes to ingredients and before I start using software like beersmith, I'd appreciate some help on choosing the malts and hops I need to achieve the beer I want.

Firstly, my favourite ales are itchen valley Q.E.D, hogs back TEA and otter ale.

I'd like to make an ale that is dark golden/mid-brown, malty/biscuit/caramel with slight bitterness and maybe chocolate/nutty after taste.

I'd like to know the rough quantities to use as I have no idea how strong the different malts are, if 5% chocolate is too much for a hint or if 10% victory will make the whole thing taste like nuts for instance.

So if I have Maris otter (base), crystal, biscuit, victory and chocolate malts available, what would you recommend as a rough quantities to start playing with?

Thanks in advance

i suggest getting one or two recipe books. the Graham Wheeler book 'Brew Your Own British Real Ale' has recipes which attempt to achieve beers in the style of a variety of commercial examples and would be a good starting point. another book you might consider is 'Real Ales For The Homebrewer' by Marc Ollosson which contains some good recipes. also have a look at the book reviews and recipe ideas on the various homebrew forums. happy brewing.

+1 try to emulate beers you know following clone recipies it will give you 1st hand experience of the ingredients and the impact they have..

after stocking up with minimal quantities of the darker adjuncts for 2 or 3 clone recipies you will have all the dark stocks you need for a good while ;) and it wont be long before you have a long brewlist in mind, so ordering new stocks when needed should be a problem..

enjoy the brewing

Latest posts

Back