First TC - apple grape & raspberry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_L

Reaction score
Thought I'd give a TC a go, probably making some blatant rookie errors but I figured the best thing would be just to give it a go.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure if you'd really class this as a "TC"- but it sounds more categorised than "Fermented Fruity Concoction"

I put the following mix into the demijohn:

~4 1/2 litres Grape, Apple and Raspberry Juice
150g Brewing Sugar (pretty much on a whim)
1/4 tsp wine tannin
pectolase
yeast nutrient

I've not used a demijohn before so I'm not completely sure what everyone else does- I sterilised everything to begin with (obviously) and then put the dry ingredients in through a funnel, then added 2L juice, thoroughly sloshed the thing around, then topped up with the rest of the juice.

After which I added the yeast- I used wine yeast purely because this was what I had handy, thought it'd be interesting to see how it turns out and progress to cider yeast next time to compare.

The Apple, Grape and Raspberry Juice was from Morrisons, currently 3 for £2.50- although I know Asda do it too, and co-op as well- we always love the taste of it so am interested in seeing how it tastes fermented. The main bulk of the juice is grape though, which is why I'm dubious about this truly being a "turbo cider"- as far as I know people don't really talk about "turbo wines" though, and it does at least have apples in it!

Thought I'd give a TC a go, probably making some blatant rookie errors but I figured the best thing would be just to give it a go.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure if you'd really class this as a "TC"- but it sounds more categorised than "Fermented Fruity Concoction"

I put the following mix into the demijohn:

~4 1/2 litres Grape, Apple and Raspberry Juice
150g Brewing Sugar (pretty much on a whim)
1/4 tsp wine tannin
pectolase
yeast nutrient

I've not used a demijohn before so I'm not completely sure what everyone else does- I sterilised everything to begin with (obviously) and then put the dry ingredients in through a funnel, then added 2L juice, thoroughly sloshed the thing around, then topped up with the rest of the juice.

After which I added the yeast- I used wine yeast purely because this was what I had handy, thought it'd be interesting to see how it turns out and progress to cider yeast next time to compare.

The Apple, Grape and Raspberry Juice was from Morrisons, currently 3 for £2.50- although I know Asda do it too, and co-op as well- we always love the taste of it so am interested in seeing how it tastes fermented. The main bulk of the juice is grape though, which is why I'm dubious about this truly being a "turbo cider"- as far as I know people don't really talk about "turbo wines" though, and it does at least have apples in it!

Hi Dan,

Did you calculate your sugar content when making this?

If the juice contains sugars, you need to calculate the total based on the amount of juice used, then if you are aiming for a wine type ABV of around 13%, you need to add the balance required to make total sugar of approx 1100gm in a 5L brew.

If you are aiming more at a cider ABV, then total sugars of around 550gm, will give you 6.5% approx.

FatCol

Hi Dan,

Did you calculate your sugar content when making this?

If the juice contains sugars, you need to calculate the total based on the amount of juice used, then if you are aiming for a wine type ABV of around 13%, you need to add the balance required to make total sugar of approx 1100gm in a 5L brew.

If you are aiming more at a cider ABV, then total sugars of around 550gm, will give you 6.5% approx.

FatCol

I'd not quite planned it that technically to be honest- but I know the sugar content is about 600g- there's 10g per 100ml in the juice and I added 150g brewing sugar- useful to know what to aim for now anyway.

The main thing I'm not sure of at the moment- should I have filtered the juice at all? There's a lot of settled fruit pulp at the bottom (takes up most of the bottom half of the DJ), I'm not sure if this is going to cause problems with the sediment settling, or if this is just a normal thing, and it can be filtered afterwards/left alone.

Back