Moving on to extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my grain bags. I made them just big enough to fit the pots into. Measure pot circumference, halve it, sew two pieces together that are a few centimetres wider than that, and longer than the pot height. I used muslin, £2 for two bags. 15L pots.

I was thinking of using a hop bag for grains (500grams) would that be too small ? or could I use two of them?

Depends how much grain you steep. Just don't pack it in tight, water needs to penetrate fully. You can use two bags, or more, no problem.

I've decided to go all extract (no kits) now, and taking inspiration from various members here, once I've done my LOndon Pride clone I'm thinking of doing smaller (10-12L) batches and mixing things up with some steeping and different hop additions. This way I'll get more variety to drink and also be able to learn more about ingredients and technique quicker than with big batches.

Question is, when doing smaller batches like this, do you simply halve the quantities of everything you'd use in a 23L brew (malt, grain, hops, yeast) but steep/ boil for the same length of time? And will it ferment out quicker (of course hydrometer being the test)?

Whilst at work. The Mrs text to say my pan appears to have arrived. Shocked at size of it ( the pan that is ). Might jab some explaining to do arrival home. Ah well. Needs must as they say.

Not sure what size to go for. But having had a clear out on eBay. Thought may as well blow it all on something I'll use a lot in time. Hence that bad boy.

You're just down the road, I might have to nick it. Have you got a gas burner? Yet?!

Latest posts

Back