Going biab. But what kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Long post sorry, but my heads in a right spin and advice welcomed.

I've 100% made up my mind to go AG and biab is the best for me, as I (read 'wife') don't want tons of kit in the house.

My issue is, what kit, specifically mash/boiler in one? Requirements:

- I think I'll mainly aim for 10L batches but want the flexibility to do 20L too.

- I don't want to do it on my stove top, my cooker is **** and barely keeps boil of 6L going.

So I need an electric boiler.
-I ideally want one that I don't need to do any mods to, so ideally with hop strainer, appropriate tap, ideally something to stand bag on to drain, etc

- Ideally one with concealed element to make cleaning easy, but also something that can keep a good boil (a lot of tea urns I've read about cut off At 97 and then hold at 90, so no good)

- And with good temp control, so I can easily set for mash/boil.

- and finally but v importantly, one that's tried and tested, I don't want to invest and be disappointed!

Money is not exactly no object, and I'm not talking about getting a grainfather, but meeting the above is more important than minimising cost (ie I'm not interested in building one!)

Reckon I can fashion a chiller and bags etc are easy enough to buy.

Long post as mentioned, but...help please!

Looks like you're in the same boat as me. I am looking at making the jump soon maybe this summer but not sure what to go for

I was thinking about the idea of a peco plastic boiler which has elements in geterbrewed were selling one with a grain bag a false bottom and a cooler and an all grain kit for £99

That said a few people put me off plastic boilers here yesterday so I am unsure now.

They also sell a plastic peco boiler which you can precisely set the temps on so perfect for mashing sparging and boil but that was £99.

I was interested in those peco boilers til I did a search and found some v unhappy punters, which put me off. General complaints were cut offs preventing good boil, poor insulation so heat loss in mash, flimsy, hard to clean.

There are obviously good boilers out there, the burco cygnet gets good reviews from Brewers but it's the mods needed (tap, hop filters) that scare me. I'm not terribly handy and don't fancy wrecking an £80 investment

Gareth,
if you look on ebay for blue mango barrel, there are offerings
for six quid plus five postage. Now these are smelly and take
a lot of cleaning with oxyclense and bleach, but when they are
done they will serve as a boiler.

Thought you had it clibit but post #58 shows a gas boiler. Don't want the hassle of the burner and bottle...the search goes on!

That's why my search for the perfect one is proving tricky!

I think the issue people have with electric boilers is mostly down to the element cutting out so they need to be cleaned and possibly descaled every other brew.

I think SWMBO would freak if I bought a gas burner. I think to begin I will try a peco boiler and just insulate it.. somehow with some foil bubble wrap perhaps

Not tried electric so can't comment. But the gas ring is rather awesome! Dead easy as have a gas bottle for camping so not a Prob there. Great to at getting 25l to a good rolling boil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding a hop strainer, poss bigger tap. One of the Amazon reviewers mentions cutting bigger holes, but another fits the same size tap and a strainer, reckon that might be within my skill levels.
Might just go for it...

Don't these urns also need modifying to prevent them cutting out during the boil? Like a kitchen kettle they have an auto switch off mechanism when they hit the boil, no?

Sounds like a lot of fuss to me, I would rather go for a burner and pot or a peco one and insulate it. I wouldn't brother with a hop strainer on that either

Hmm seeing as a burner plus pot with taps etc fitted would probably be about the same as a decent urn plus mods that might be the way. It could all live happily in the shed too as no electrics to get damp.

@ Bungle have you any idea how many brews you'll get from a big gas cylinder? Trying to work out rough costs

Latest posts

Back