Rye beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HisDudeness

Reaction score
Just had a bottle of Adnams Crystal Rye IPA and really rate it pretty highly, have also enjoyed the Revisionist Rye Pale Ale from Marstons recently so was wondering if anyone has any rye based recipes that would be similar to beers of this style would definitely like to have a go a brewing a rye beer at some point!

Revisonist Rye , was that the one exclusive to Tesco? I think I tried some of them the Rye included and I was pretty impressed with their range

I really like Beavertown's 8 Ball Rye IPA. It's a style that's on my AG list when I eventually switch!

I love crystal rye and roasted/chocolate rye. Will dig out some recipes.

Thanks everyone, yes the revisionist was from the Tescos exclusive range by Marstons and very good it was too! I do have the GH book so had a recipe there the whole time! It is hidden towards the back though. This Adnams beer was one of those 'I want another right now!' Drinks especially as it is only in a 330 bottle. The Adnams site gives some ingredient details as below

"We’ve used lots of hops from North America – Columbus, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo and Citra – because we just love the delicious, big, bold, citrus and pine flavours and aromas they bring to the beer.

To balance out all this hoppy goodness we’ve added Rye, plus some Pale Ale and Cara Malt, to imbue sweetness, body and balance as well as some lovely subtle toffee flavours"

YeAh the tesco revisionist rye is one of my fave beers. I've read rye is hard to mash. Why's that and what do you need to do differently with it?

Had to pop in to Tesco's on my way home. On your recommendations I have purchased 1 or 3 (maybe more) Revisionist IPA's. Really good. Another one on my Primani list!!

Nice. They're cheap as well. Did you get the black IPA? That's good too, as is the California common steam. The saison and wheat were drinkable but not great and I haven't had the red or lager.

Not a great selection over here, just got the rye and saison. Will keep my eye out though!

Playing around with a recipe calculator and information for the Adnams Rye IPA came up with this loosely based on 60 minute IPA in GH book.

This is my first attempt and just experimenting really so please feel free to point out any obvious blunders or improvements that could be made!

Batch 23L
Boil 60 min
OG 1.052
FG 1.012
ABV 5.4%
IBU 52.1
SRM 12

Grain
4.5 Kg Maris Otter
0.4 Kg Crystal Rye
0.3 Kg CaraMalt

Hops
Amarillo 8.5% 20g @ 60
Columbus 13.5% 10g @ 60
Amarillo 8.5% 10g @ 30
Columbus 13.5% 10g @ 30
Centennial 9.8% 5g @ 10
Citra 12.5% 5g @ 10
Amarillo 8.5% 5g @ 10
Centennial 9.8% 10g @ 0
Citra 12.5% 10g @ 0
Amarillo 8.5% 10g @ 0

Yeast
US 05

Just me, but according to the hop utilization chart that may or may not be accurate, shows the peak time for flavor is about 21 mins and the peak for aroma is about 7 mins. I'd change your 30 and 10 mins to that.

I have begun to do a whirlpool addition of two, as well as a dry hop for uber hoppy beers. It's gets a bit expensive though.

I've used up to a third rye in some of my beers and you just have to add a load of rice or oat hulls in there to stop it being too sticky. It's the same as if you use a lot of wheat. It doesn't really need much else.

I made a great rye saison using 3kg pilsner, 1.5kg rye malt and 200g crystal with 25 IBU of Styrian Goldings for bittering and Wyeast French Saison yeast. It was lovely!

Read up a bit on using rye in beers and came up with a few changes to recipe previously posted to hopefully improve it, basically added more rye but hopefully not enough to cause serious mashing problems and changed hopping to reflect what I am actually likely to have in stock and generally up the hoppyness a bit will hopefully try a small batch of this soon for a test run

Rye IPA

23l
ABV 5.8
IBU 51.7
SRM 13
OG 1.055
Fg 1.012

Grain
Mo 4kg
Rye malt 0.75kg
Crystal 60l 0.3kg
Crystal rye 0.3kg