Dr Smurtos Golden Ale Partial Mash Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HisDudeness

Reaction score
Picked up several 1 can kits in the Tesco sale for experimenting with on some partial mashes and heres my first idea for a recipe based on the Dr Smurto AG recipe from Beersmith, the original gets some rave reviews and seems to be quite popular so thought it would be worth a punt!

Batch 23L
OG 1.047
FG 1.012
ABV 4.7%
SRM 8.8
IBUs 30-35ish probably
Harvest Pilsner Kit 1.5Kg
Munich Malt 0.95Kg
Wheat Malt 0.95Kg
CaraMunich III 0.3Kg
DME 0.3Kg
Torrified Wheat 0.1Kg
(TW not on original but I have loads to use up so chucking it in everything at the mo!)

Amarillo 10g @ 15min
Amarillo 30g @ 0min
Amarillo 30g Dry Hop 5 days (Not on original but seems like a good idea)
Assuming a kit IBU of 25-30ish (couldnt find an exact figure for kit) hopefully 5.5 IBUs from boil hops should be sufficient

Yeast Safale US-05

Does this look OK? :hmm:

Not yet, beer fridge is full of cold conditioning beers at the moment and house is still a bit warm for starting a brew off but it was next on my list! Does the recipe look sound to you?

Yeah it looks fine. The Munich and Caramunich will make it pretty rich and malty, if that's what you're after?

Cool, Yeah I figured it would be from the original recipe but I quite enjoy a malty pale ale so should be ok for my tastes, might up the bitterness slightly though

So got this one going today and tried a few slightly different techniques low efficiency again but I am going to blame that on another slightly exotic grain bill.

Mashed in 13 litres at 67/8 and realised that my pot fits the oven if I take all the shelves out so put it on lowest heat (50*c) and plonked the mash in there, monitored it very closely but was pleased to find it stayed at a rock solid 67 for the whole hour, will definitely do this again.

2015-07-14 08.50.42.jpg

2015-07-14 09.20.42.jpg

Lots of lovely Amarillo going into this one, I doubled the 15 min addition to 20g to slightly raise the IBU and hopefully impart even more of that lovely aroma.

Thought I would try rehydrating the yeast to see if it makes any difference to lag time, using US05 for this one

2015-07-14 10.08.43.jpg

Batch sparged with 5L of water and poured this back through grain in a sieve above main pan after it had soaked for 15m. Still down at 60% efficiency so not sure whether thats duff technique, or the grain bill or a bit of both

2015-07-14 10.10.34.jpg

Boiled for 60 mins and ended up with 12 L in the FV, which will be handy info for next 10L AG batch knock 1L off mash and sparge volumes and I should be bang on. Topped up to 23 Litres and ended up with 1.043 OG. Couldnt get it to cool very well in sink as tap water is barely below 20c at the moment so have put it in brew fridge at low temp to cool off a bit more before yeast goes in

2015-07-14 11.33.30.jpg

2015-07-14 13.07.06.jpg

Oh and I remembered the irish moss so hopefully this might clear up a bit better than my first partial mash! :hmm:

Well the yeast was off and running within 12 hours so perhaps the rehydration did help, difficult to say though as it is the first time using US 05. Good not to have the paranoid stage before fermentation for once!

The oven at 50C (lowest setting) is a good one, alright. Saves messing about with towels and dressing gowns.

Is your pot the 15L Wilko pot? It looks like it?

Yeah the other half wasn't that keen on blankets and towels round the cooker top so oven helps avoid that domestic strife! Blind luck that it fitted the oven though, it's a 20L (actually only holds about 19) pot I found on ebay not bad quality for the price

Quick update, 7 days in primary and no bubbles so checked gravity and got 1.008, I can see why US05 is so popular now very quick, high attenuation and it's very clear already. Sample was pretty good no obvious twang and a nice malty/bread flavour coming through. Just dry hopped with 40g Amarillo which will leave for 5-7 days. Dangerous sampling brew this early in the morning, I really fancy a beer now!

So got this one going today and tried a few slightly different techniques low efficiency again but I am going to blame that on another slightly exotic grain bill.

Mashed in 13 litres at 67/8 and realised that my pot fits the oven if I take all the shelves out so put it on lowest heat (50*c) and plonked the mash in there, monitored it very closely but was pleased to find it stayed at a rock solid 67 for the whole hour, will definitely do this again.

got to try the oven trick when I next do a mash.:hat:

Bottled this today and trying out a recycled mini keg for first time, tastes pretty good hopefully it will be a good result after a few weeks in bottle

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back