HBC Particular Peter's Stout Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As i said on your other thread this beer came out really nice despite me bunging 1kg of brewers sugar into it. I panicked as it was one of my earlier brews. I am gonna have another crack at this over the weekend and pitch on my muntons yeast cake. Would the roastiness be less if i cold steeped the chocolate and barley? And what would you use for bittereing, i have Fuggles and Progress?

I've never cold steeped but other forumites have and say that the roastyness is a lot more mellow so I'd definatley have a go at cold steeping the dark grains. As for hops either. It's only for bittering, so whichever has the higher AA% so you use less.

Hmmm steeping the dark grains, another thing to put on the 'to try' list for my Guinness clone experiments. :thumb:

Would that be steeped for an 30 mins to an hour say and added for full mash time?

Hmmm steeping the dark grains, another thing to put on the 'to try' list for my Guinness clone experiments. :thumb:

Would that be steeped for an 30 mins to an hour say and added for full mash time?

There was a thread about cold steeping a week or so ago. Iirc it's steeped overnight. Can't remember when you add the steepings

DOH if I had a brain! Cheers MQ

I posted a link in that thread too from Palmers book with info on steeping, I'll go and have another read.

EDIT: Palmer reckons 21 mins for roast barley at 65-71°C

I cold steeped the grains when I made my clone of this, This was the first Stout I made and I have never mashed with them in a stout since so I have no comparison..

It was nice roasty and smooth.. lovely..will def make this again .. I still have a bottle of this which I have kept for ages... might have it tonight or save it for the Rugby

For the record I put the roasted grains in room temp water at a ratio of 3.5 liters for the grain.. in a pot and left it overnight at room temp.... drained the grains out and added at the end of the mash

I've found out that adjuncts can be mashed, or steeped and then added to the boil :thumb:

So two more things to put on my 'to try' list for a Guinness clone

Thread as discussed http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60262

I added the steepings to the last 10 minutes of the boil, can't comment as to whether this is good or not as its still in the FV.

I will be interested to see how you feel it compares.. I think the cold steep is just supposed to be smoother but then you see people like MyQul has said they like taht harshness it brings which is fair enough.. Next stout I do I honestly don't know whether I will cold steep or not

DOH, that means I'll have to try:-
a steep and boil,
a steep and add to boil for the last 10 mins
a steep and no boil just add to FV

to decide which is my favourite.

But the note on that linked page is good for someone who likes experimenting methinks................

QUOTE:
Get Experimental

Not every grain reacts the same while being processed for brewing. Two grains of the same color may not necessarily benefit from a cold or hot steep. Start by taking a day to experiment with the grains you will be dealing with. Try soaking the grain in question in room temperature water and at steep temperatures for 5 and 60 minutes. You may be surprised by what you prefer!

ENDQUOTE:

SOURCE: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/cold-steeping-getting-the-most-out-of-dark-grains/

I've read about adding to the FV without boiling it a few times, its in that linked article which just says make sure not to aerate wort too much when adding and at least one other which said add after a few days fermenting and the alcohol will kill any nasties.
I think it should be boiled but I'm willing to risk an experiment on a small batch at some point to see if it makes any difference.

Back