Anyone used Topaz before?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about to finish the boil on this topaz recipe, changed it up a bit and subbed carapils for caragold and added 10% wheat. Smells good so far!

Had a couple of very early samples of this and its pretty good, early impression of Topaz is its much more subtle than Galaxy with a very light tropical note. There is also a bit of that mown grass/pine flavour which isnt my favourite to be honest but its not too strong and hopefully will condition out. I am glad that I didnt dry hop with the Topaz as that is supposed to accentuate those resinous flavours. Liking the overall balance and might use this recipe for trying out other hops in the APA style. :smile:

Nelson Sauvin certainly seem to be the 'Hop du jour' in a lot of pale ales and ipas at the moment

The thing about Nelson Sauvin is that they are supposed to taste like the white wine...and they do...and I don't like white wine much so I have brewed two single hop beers with this and it is not to my taste at all. However, for a hop that does what it says on the tin this certainly meets the mark - it really is a strange sensation drinking beer with the taste of white wine grapes.

As to the Pride of Ringwood, they are the hops that are used in Coopers English bitter...I don't know if it was the hops but the finished beer had a strange "cold" profile, like picking up a European dark beer and finding out it tastes like dark lager.

Mind you the Nelson did smell fantastic fresh and I wonder if it would be a great aroma hop.

This one has come along very nicely indeed, the hops are really coming out after nearly a month in the bottle and its a very drinkable beer. The Topaz sits nicely with the Cascade and gives a lovely fruity aroma and tropical flavour to the brew. There is still a bit of pine in there but as a nice background rather than the full on lawnmower grass taste that I was worried about initially. I can see why some describe topaz as having lychee notes, it also reminds me a bit of those old fruit salad penny sweets. Definitely worth experimenting with just not quite as powerful as the more popular Galaxy IMO.

2016-01-15 20.34.52.jpg

Latest posts

Back