Greg Hughes Amarillo single hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this recipe? I have and I think that this is a great beer with a lovely orange citrus background and slightly malty front end. Excellent if you haven't had a go at this one yet.

IMO you'll never regret anything made with Amarillo. The extract version of this was my first non kit brew and it was, as they say, 'totes amazeballs'

Interesting I was going to try this in the new year!! never used Amarillo before but I wanted to try some American Pale ales out

I've got 100g of Amarillo sat about. Was thinking of trying this.

Well worth it. It has Carapils also in the recipe and I did add a bit of Crystal which I had lying around as I quite like the colour in the picture in the book. I just wish I could leave my beers to mature past about three weeks as they do get so much better!

I've just done a single hopped Nelson with almost 200g of hops used. And having bottled it yesterday and the smell off it. I'm thinking 200g might be a good way to go to get my beers stinking of hops.

I like Simcoe as well. I also have 100g of Cascade but the Cascade single hop recipe needs about 200g as I remember.

Just do a smaller batch. You could d a nice 10L, highly hopped batch with 100g. Cascade has surprisingly high aa so you don't need huge volumes for bittering, leaving you loads for late additions and dry hops. Or use another hop for bittering. Cascade might be a bit ubiquitous but that's because it's wonderful

Just do a smaller batch. You could d a nice 10L, highly hopped batch with 100g. Cascade has surprisingly high aa so you don't need huge volumes for bittering, leaving you loads for late additions and dry hops. Or use another hop for bittering. Cascade might be a bit ubiquitous but that's because it's wonderful

Thanks, I might do that given I have less the the required 4.5kg of Maris Otter for the base anyway :thumb:

Back