Blonde summer ale type recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Longish post, but you know when you just gotta tell someone that understands!

I was hoping to have this blonde recipe on the go about now, but I am waiting for my mates lad from the brewery to get me some yeast and maybe the grain and hops if I'm lucky with my blagging, ha ha ha , but the festivities have got in the way.:doh:

But its given me time to sort through some of my junk to find stuff that might be useful for all grain brewing, found another reasonable sized pan, dug out my smaller 15L swan water urn, the bigger burco may be useful for future bigger batches.

Found various cooker and bar b q gas burners so I can sort a heating device.
Found some approx 10mm copper pipe for a wort chiller

One question though is their any problem with mild steel in the mash?
I ask as the top part of the patio heater I salvaged from my brothers pub fits nicely in my pan with room all around and feet on the bottom to keep it clear of the bottom of pan and it would make lifting out grain much easier than a bag.

I've got tons of stuff from my 10+ yrs of biodiesel brewing, and I've made all my kit mainly from junk and just buy the odd fitting I aint got, so now I've researched what I need for beer I'm thinking of a pan with temp gauge, recirculation pump and pipework, pid temp control, and a mash tun from coolbox with manifold, (got a coolbox but its a bit too far gone even for me to rescue, but most of it looks easy enough seeing what folks have cobbled together on here and you tube etc.

Can you tell I'm hooked :thumb:
I'm amazed that so much is similar to biodiesel, we even call biodiesel the dark side as compared to just filtering veg oil :mrgreen:

I got told today that brewing lad might not be able to get the grain for me, so I just ordered 2kg maris otter and 1kg Minch malt Irish pale ale malt and bag o first gold hops from Shane@HBC :thumb:

Can anyone give me an answer to my question about steel above?

Is there is any problem using steel in the mash as a malt tube?

If my grain, hops and yeast all turn up this week I hope to brew soon.

Can anyone give me an answer to my question about steel above?

Is there is any problem using steel in the mash as a malt tube?

If my grain, hops and yeast all turn up this week I hope to brew soon.

I can't see why there might be a problem. Steel is used extensively in brewing.

If it were me, I would not use carbon steel (alias mild steel ) if it comes into direct contact with your mash, wort or beer. Carbon steel corrodes in the presence of water and oxygen to name but a few chemicals as we all know.
Stainless steel and copper, as used extensively in the brewing industry, is fine.

Thanks for the replies, I would really like to use it and I wouldn't imagine it would give much to the mash, I've had it in boiling water and no rust colour or taste, or anything in the water, I just wondered if there was any possible chemical reaction with grain, but terry's got me thinking maybe I shouldn't throw a wildcard in until I have more practice. hmmmm

Finally got some brewery yeast from the brewery lad and the amounts they use in their blonde ale so today I got this brew on for 5 litres

Maris Otter 512g
Minch Pilsner malt 256g

75 min mash at (I hope) 66C
10 min dunk sparge at 75C
75 min boil
1st hops @ 75 mins 3.25g First gold 9% aa
2nd hops @ 15 mins 5.5g First gold 9% aa

Cooled with my latest creation, a copper coil wort chiller, worked really well, I could see the temp dropping before my eyes, well chuffed.

Transferred to clean 15L FV and pitched the brewery yeast

No pics though I'm afraid as my camera woman was at work.

After my first AG attempt which was way too hot, I hope this one was closer to the mark and I hit the OG @ 1042 spot on!
I'm now treating my first AG as an experiment in high mash n sparge temps and I feel much better about it that way, but a good learning curve nonetheless.

Back