Brewnight: Strawberry and Lime TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so gravity down to about 1000 now, I guess it near done in the primary. The acid taste seem to have subsided a quite bit, though it still tastes too much like a wine for my liking.

Can I add more AJ in at this point or maybe in the secondary to get it away from the wine taste? I'm wondering if making the cider to the 8% abv recipe has caused it to taste too much like wine instead of cider and therefore watering down or adding AJ will help take the edge off the taste?

OK, so gravity down to about 1000 now, I guess it near done in the primary. The acid taste seem to have subsided a quite bit, though it still tastes too much like a wine for my liking.

Can I add more AJ in at this point or maybe in the secondary to get it away from the wine taste? I'm wondering if making the cider to the 8% abv recipe has caused it to taste too much like wine instead of cider and therefore watering down or adding AJ will help take the edge off the taste?

If you add more AJ now it will probably start fermenting again.

You could kill off the yeast and then add AJ. This will result in flat, non carbonated cider.

You could bottle it with extra sugar, and add splenda to sweeten it a bit and sit back and wait to see if it mellows.

I've found the acid taste does mellow after bottling. It may take a while though. I've found adding Malic Acid to mine helps get rid of the acid taste.

Maybe Roddy has some idea as it's his recipe.
Just adding my thoughts....

Probably heavy on the lime juice, less is more on this brew I think

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I suppose it could be added as garnish and for taste at a later date if its not got the tang you were after :thumb:

Got there in the end, eventually bottled it with 400ml of Strawberry Lowicz for priming

640e1dab6fcd48b3ce43a74fce7bbbc4.jpg

Back in the game.....

25L of Cider popped on tonight

15L of Lidl vitafit
2 x 440ml Lowicz strawberry
1L strong tea (5 bag)
5tsp pectolase dissolved in some warm water
Juice of 6 fresh limes (one for you Mrc ☺)
Cider yeast with sweetener

Warmed 3L of aj and lowicz in pan until hot

Made up tea, left to stew

Emptied AJ into coopers FV
added hot AJ/lowicz
added tea
topped up to 25L with cold tap water
added lime juice
temp about 22deg
stirred in cider yeast with sweetener I got on ebay (thread on here somewhere)

Sg 1.040
intending to prime with another bottle of lowicz strawb, so est abv 6%

boom 😃

very daft question as I am rubbish at maths but what would this recipe be to make in a 5lt DJ how would I convert thanks in advance :)

very daft question as I am rubbish at maths but what would this recipe be to make in a 5lt DJ how would I convert thanks in advance :)

No such thing as a stupid question in this game :mrgreen:

try this out
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqD9OOcGhwesqjxx37C5gYSlfNXw

3L AJ
1/2 bottle (220ml) Lowicz strawberry
Juice of 1 lime
Mug of strong tea
1 tsp pectolase
Top up with water to 5L
1/2 sachet cider yeast with sweetener

Primer
80ml of Lowicz syrup

Est ABV: 6%
priming sugar per 500ml = 6.6g

thanks Roddy I will attempt tonight used to make ale kits but never tried TC so let's hope it's successful at this time of year with the temperature :)

change of plan am making your raspberry cider instead it seems the strawberry syrup is like rocking horse droppings where I live after going to 4 different supermarket's 🤔

Going to give this a go as my very first cider recipe and just wondering is it just the syrup you used to prime or did you use sugar also using the batch priming method..

Thanks

Going to give this a go as my very first cider recipe and just wondering is it just the syrup you used to prime or did you use sugar also using the batch priming method..

Thanks
Just the syrup for (batch) priming chief, it's so loaded with sugar, you don't need any extra tate & lyle 😊

Thanks
Just the syrup for (batch) priming chief, it's so loaded with sugar, you don't need any extra tate & lyle 😊

So would I be right saying I will get approx 50 500ml bottles out of the batch and 5.5g or syrup per 500ml which would make 275 ml for the batch priming??

Sorry this is all very new to me just want to make sure I have everything right before I start..

Also is it the Vitafit cloudy Apple Juice ( not from concentrate ) that i am to purchase??

Thanks again..

Sorry just read back through the whole thread and got my answers, 400ml to batch prime and not the cloudy cider..

Thanks can't wait to start

So I was just in Lidl and the only Apple Juice they have Cloudy Apple Juice in a plastic bottle Not From Concentrate... Would this be ok to use?

Ingredients - Cloudy Apple Juice, Antioxident Ascorbic Acid

What's better to use from concentrate or not?? Sorry new to all this and just trying to get my head around it..

Thanks

Probably.... but lidl normally have the cartons of plain apple (1.5L, usually about 88p)

I'd be inclined to use the non cloudy if you have a choice... easier to clear 😀

Doesn't really matter if from concentrate or not, so long as it's 100% apple 😊

Ok I might go and have a look in Tesco as they defo didn't have the cartons..

Fair play great info I would defo never be able to attempt this without this forum and your help... Can't wait to try more already :-)

Just put this together this evening and it's smells great I must admit thanks for all your help Roddy.. Already looking forward to doing another one of yours :-)

No sweat mate, I started from scratch a couple of years ago with advice from here !

Latest posts

Back