Guinness style clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
taste is such a personal thing...

must see if i have one of them left..

people rave about Guinness much as i like stout...i dont like it.....well not the tasteless draught swill anyhow....recently bought an old fasioned can..and it was tbh ok...

i guess a lot of people like the "mouthfeel" due to the nitrogen and tbh its a pretty bland inoffensive taste..which to the masses is prob a safe bet...

but as homebrewers we can do so much better...

i am now having to go to the shed to grab a few stouts......grr

ahh..trip to shed completed

note to self crocs barefoot and muddy = slippy toes and messy slippy kitchen floor

beers retrieved...nov stout ie no treacle...i do have one left but its on a shelf i keep for past brews.

brown porter from 5th jan with wlp004.....no warm conditionng (cause i cant be arsed carryiny stuff to house) but due to currnet stocks time is not an issue.

and 1 bott of a beer i thouhgt about binning....as time goes by its getting better...downside makes special brew look like mineral water..

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll probably do a standard 70/20/10 to get a base and tinker from there, I may go for the Irish ale yeast and then I can harvest some for future stouts

ahh..trip to shed completed

note to self crocs barefoot and muddy = slippy toes and messy slippy kitchen floor

beers retrieved...nov stout ie no treacle...i do have one left but its on a shelf i keep for past brews.

brown porter from 5th jan with wlp004.....no warm conditionng (cause i cant be arsed carryiny stuff to house) but due to currnet stocks time is not an issue.

and 1 bott of a beer i thouhgt about binning....as time goes by its getting better...downside makes special brew look like mineral water..

Keep one of them for me - I like mineral water.....!!

I'm loving this thread Cheapbrew, some subtle tips abound.

I guess the blandness is why I like it so much. it's my drink of choice in a pub. That base recipe is great to try and then tweak. I've added Vanilla and Chocolate but Orange Peel, Oatmeal, Lactose and other flavours can all be added.

The Irish Moss would do no harm so I would still use it.

Keep us in touch of how your brew turns out Cheapbrew.

An early Home Brewing guru, Dave Line, wrote a book called "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy". His recipe was for the bottled version, which is known as "Guinness Original" nowadays, I think. Back in the day bottled Guinness had yeast that one could cultivate.

More than 15 years since I tried this but I remember it was pretty close then,
Ingredients:

• 7 pounds, Crushed pale malt
  • 2 pounds, Flaked barley
  • 1 pound, crushed roast barley
  • 1 ounce, bullion hops
  • 3 ounces, northern brewer hops
  • 1 tsp. CaCO3 (if you are in a soft water area)
  • yeast starter made from a bottle of Guinness
(recipe for 5 gallons)

I would have made it with patent black malt, I've never used roast barley; Ho-Hum! The hop bill looks huge now, reflects the poor quality of hops at the time.

edit: can you get Bullion hops now?

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Bullion_Hops_100g.html#.VsF5jGYYbMI

Short answer - yes!

An early Home Brewing guru, Dave Line, wrote a book called "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy". His recipe was for the bottled version, which is known as "Guinness Original" nowadays, I think. Back in the day bottled Guinness had yeast that one could cultivate.

More than 15 years since I tried this but I remember it was pretty close then,
Ingredients:

• 7 pounds, Crushed pale malt
  • 2 pounds, Flaked barley
  • 1 pound, crushed roast barley
  • 1 ounce, bullion hops
  • 3 ounces, northern brewer hops
  • 1 tsp. CaCO3 (if you are in a soft water area)
  • yeast starter made from a bottle of Guinness
(recipe for 5 gallons)

I would have made it with patent black malt, I've never used roast barley; Ho-Hum! The hop bill looks huge now, reflects the poor quality of hops at the time.

edit: can you get Bullion hops now?

Its American now.

One of the earliest high alpha hops in the world. Originally bred in England, The first breeding of different hop varieties took place at Wye College in Kent, England by Professor E. S. Salmon in 1919 when he bred the varieties "Brewer's Gold" and "Bullion".

Bullion Hops is a sibling to Brewer's Gold and was a seed collected off a female plant taken from a wild variety from Morden, Manitoba and crossed with an English male hop . It was open pollination that gave rise to this abundantly bitter hops variety that sprung in the year 1919.

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops

Or you could look at the Bullion description here. Conflicting information, as always.

Its American now.

One of the earliest high alpha hops in the world. Originally bred in England, The first breeding of different hop varieties took place at Wye College in Kent, England by Professor E. S. Salmon in 1919 when he bred the varieties "Brewer's Gold" and "Bullion".

Bullion Hops is a sibling to Brewer's Gold and was a seed collected off a female plant taken from a wild variety from Morden, Manitoba and crossed with an English male hop . It was open pollination that gave rise to this abundantly bitter hops variety that sprung in the year 1919.

I made a Guinness clone not long back, now a lot of people say you need Nitrogen, and I do like draught Guinness on tap, but my favourite Guinness is (Actually the export strength stuff but it's hard to find, that stuff is amazing) Guinness Original.

Something that I did discover was that Guinness sour the mash, I haven't tried this but it's where the 'twang' in the Guinness flavour comes from. I really cannot think of another word to describe it!

Either way, I made this and it is very close to Guinness original, and one of the nicest stouts I have ever had.

Hops
45g Bullion Hops, Added at the beginning of boil

Grains
0.14kg Caramel / Crystal Malt
0.75kg roasted Barley
1.41Kg Flaked Barley
3.4 Kg Maris Otter

Others
0.5tsp Irish moss 50 mins in

Yeast
1 Packet Danstar Nottingham

Single step infusion mash at 69 Degrees

60 Minute boil

Pre boil Volume: Around 30L
Post Boil Vol: 23L

OG: 1.043
FG 1.008

Primed with 105g ordinary sugar and bottle conditioned

OMFG to use modern parlance! I'm drooling for trying some of this but I somehow foolishly agreed not to start anything new until the space I'm taking up at the moment with beer, wine n cider is free'd up, feck, feck, feck, feckity feckin feck, the things I have to do to save my hearing!

That's an interesting read.

I don't fancy doing a full sour but it's interesting to read you can buy acidulated malt to do the job.

Geterbrewed do 2 types of acidulated malt I'm wondering how much to add for a stout without actually measuring my own waters PH?

I have everything I need for my next batch and I'm much the same, haven't decided whether to give souring the mash a go yet.. I think I will, if nothing else it's something new! I'm in two minds whether just to try acid malt though..

It'll be interesting to see how it compared to batch #1 which isn't soured, if it just had that sour twang I think it would taste exactly like Guinness Original, its already very close!

I still have 18 bottles of bulmers to drink for the bottles. I've been threatening to drink it for over a month now. I might have to have a celebration of some sort and provide Bulmers for the peasants.

I haven't been able to bring myself to pouring it down the sink yet..

OMFG to use modern parlance! I'm drooling for trying some of this but I somehow foolishly agreed not to start anything new until the space I'm taking up at the moment with beer, wine n cider is free'd up, feck, feck, feck, feckity feckin feck, the things I have to do to save my hearing!

Well, if you like a good Stout from what I've read generally speaking homebrew stouts are something that always go down well.

I've only made one so far, and I was blown away with how good it turned out..

I read somewhere in my searching that guinness have an extract that they use to sour the mash, and someone claimed it was basically just guinness left to go off under lab conditions?

I do like a stout, well I like lots of different beers, but I just cannot drink more than 3-4 pints as my stomach just groans and bubbles.

I'm just starting my first extract brew with a Guinness clone and one of the things my recipe says is to grind the roasted barley into almost a dust, apparently this contributes to getting the right colour and flavour. With this being my first proper brew I'm not sure if this is common practice or not

Latest posts

Back