Guinness style clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So give it 3 months and it should be really smooth then. I'll see how I go, my list that I want to try is getting pretty bloody long.!

Yes three months would be great. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread I found some 4 month old dry stout which is fantastic now.

Black sabbath stout is probably going to be my next dark beer I make. I've been on a bit of a pseudo lager/pale ale binge recently so need to make something darker soon

I've had a head start on both of you, it was this thread that made me do my "House Stout", it's finished fermenting but I'll give it another week. It's going into a corny but also some bottles which will be kept for maturing.

I'm wondering about vanilla. Last time I used a vanilla pod I put a vanilla pod in with the boil. When the brew was finished I couldn't taste it. Then again it was one of my first AGs and it was drank pretty young so maybe I idn't give it time to develope. Is it better to put it in at flame out or in the FV?

I've also been reading about lagering and I'm thinking of using a lager yeast with half a brew to see how it works out.

Yes three months would be great. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread I found some 4 month old dry stout which is fantastic now.

Black sabbath stout is probably going to be my next dark beer I make. I've been on a bit of a pseudo lager/pale ale binge recently so need to make something darker soon

Be aware that Black Sabbath is not for the gentler beer drinkers, particularly if you use the Weiss yeast. Though time does mellow it beautifully.

Be aware that Black Sabbath is not for the gentler beer drinkers, particularly if you use the Weiss yeast. Though time does mellow it beautifully.

Although you linked a source for Mauribrew Weiss, I think I'm going to use MJ Bavarian Wheat M20 as I don't normally buy anything from the place you linked and it has a £6.50 minimum shipping charge. I can just add some M20 to my order when I buy my grains from geterbrewed.

I also plan on bottling it all in 330ml bottles as I've read your comments that it's a beast. Plus at 6% (about 1% higher than what I usually like as a maximum ABV%) I'm planning on conditioning it for about 4 months

AG doesnt take ages to condition, Stouts are best when conditioned for a long time. You can drink a AG after about 2 weeks conditioning and it will knock spots of any kit condtioned for a similar period of time. Time aids both kits and AG.
Having said that I made a low OG bitter recently. I tried a bottle after 4 days condtioning and its great. I could start tucking into it now if I wanted, but I'm going to give it two weeks to condition.

I meant to say AG Stout. I drink most of my beers (pale ales) before they have been in the bottle less than a month and happy with the majority. Its the stouts, i just don't get why all my previous have been overtly roasty on finish of fermentation compared to kits. Forgot to have a sample of my last brew so still mystified. :)

I bottled these yesterday, and albeit a little flat, I've made something that looks and tastes similar to Guinness and it is very drinkable now, so with a few weeks to carb up and condition they should be even better. I gave the stepson a small glass and said have a taste of my latest beer, he screwed up his face and said it tastes like flat Guinness, but hes a lager boy ha ha ha

Not any major discernable differences between the two yeasts now, but the NBS ale yeast may still be slightly smoother but its hard to tell now, it was more noticeable a week or so back so I don't know if its just in my head, will get the missus to do me a blind taste test in a few weeks.

Been testing these each week, Rebellion brewery yeast version was good from the first taster and is now bloody lovely!

The NBS ale yeast version has finally got there but has taken much longer to carb up and condition but I think it is now as good as the rebellion yeast version, it may even be slightly smoother but its hard to tell drinking one pint after the other without a side by side comparison.

But overall I'm well impressed with my efforts and the guinness I had in the pub yesterday didn't seem the same

Latest posts

Back