Hobgoblin gold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptoit

Reaction score
Hello all, started brewing at Christmas. Been doing kits and fairly impressed. But have been considering starting a few smaller ag recipes. I've managed to get a 12.5 litre pan so I think as far as I know will be OK to do 2 gallon batches.
One thing I wonder, does anyone have a recipe for hobgoblin gold? Have to say recently it's one of my favourite pints.
Would it be too complicated for starting ag? Just that I would prefer to brew something I enjoy.
Have searched but can't seem to find anything.
Thanks in advance.

You should be able to brew something better than the original, I reckon.

Malt: probably Maris Otter as a base malt, and wheat. Try 90% MO and 10% wheat. The wheat gives it a slightly more viscous mouth-feel and helps to give a frothy head.

Apparently they use four hops. I'm sure one of them is Nelson Sauvin. I'd guess maybe 30 IBUs for the bitterness?

Clues on their website:

mLGU8Ig.png

I've got some Nelson sauvin. Just after pointers are helpful. Apparently they are a very strong hop. Not sure at what stages to add other hops as it's probably going to be my first ag brew.

I've got some Nelson sauvin. Just after pointers are helpful. Apparently they are a very strong hop. Not sure at what stages to add other hops as it's probably going to be my first ag brew.

Something like this would be in the rough ballpark:

0bbTlKW.png

l6ftiFn.png

Try plugging some numbers into Brewers Friend. That was for a 20L batch, so factor down to size. Nelson is a strong flavoured hop, so it can overpower the others. I generally knock it back a little compared to the rest.

Haha! Of course. Autocorrected hops.

This beer is much better on cask than it is on bottle/minikeg by the way. Nothing wrong with the shop version, but a fresh pint on cask is actually a fantastic beer.

Thanks for the pointers.
Yes it's a great pint, as I had a fair few at the weekend from cask. Needed to sample to make sure!!

I've been looking at this as well recently, hops are Pilgrim, Nelson S, Citra and Summit as previous posts say.

I measured some from a bottle (at 20C) and the FG was 1.007 which really surprised me - enough to get another bottle to double check which I haven't done yet. It has some sweetness that offsets the apparent dryness so I suspect it may have Vienna or Munich in it as there is not much colour. (It says Barley and Wheat, 'Barley' could mean anything....)

If the FG is 1.007 (and I'm going to check again!), then the OG is around 1.041/1.042 for the bottle version (4.5% ABV) assuming it's not diluted etc.. That's a yeast attenuation around 83% which is quite high, so may be mashed at ~65C. Do they use Burton Ale yeast, not sure...

They probably use the Summit for bittering, with a mix of Pilgrim (the berry?), Citra, and Nelson as late additions. It doesn't taste dry hopped to me.

So maybe, and happy to get feedback:

OG 1.041/2
FG 1.007
ABV 4.5%
Mash at 65C
WLP023 Burton
About 32 IBU

Maybe 85% Maris, 10% Munich, 5% Wheat
Bitter with Summit and the other 3 hops at 5 minutes and flame out with a good steep at 80C....

hoptoit - happy to knock this into a full recipe once I've double checked FG etc...

I'm not sure about the Munich. Maybe. The sweetness may be down to attenuation.

They might use Pilgrim for bittering rather than Summit. Or a bit of both. I notice the Citra more than anything, when I've tasted it. I think adding the flavour hops at 5 mins is a good idea, alternatively after flame out, which is what a lot of breweries seem to do. Steep the hops while it's transferred slowly via the heat exchanger to the fermentation tank.

Ironblue, sounds like you know your stuff. I don't have a clue at either ag or biab. But I want to sort one out, and this is definitely my favourite brew.

It has a slight sweetness of a wheatbeer. Munich malt would be correct as it's lighter. It's just the Nelson, as far as I know this is a very strong hop and can over power everything else.

This isn't Hobgoblin Gold, this is standard Hobgoblin, but it's a great recipe (Credit goes to Orfy, whoever Orfy is, I just converted it to metric / 23L)

I thought it might be of interest, I had to post this because it turned out really well when I made it!

[FONT=&quot]Hob Goblin II[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brew Type: All Grain[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Style: English Old Ale[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brewer: Orfy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Batch Size: 23.00 L Boil Volume: 30.29 L[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Boil Time: 60 min[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grains[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.80 kg Marris Otter Pale (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hops[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]45g Fuggles[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]45g Styrian Goldings[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mash[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mash In: Add 14.09 L of water at 78.2 C Note: I add 3 litres for the base then the 15L, helps with dough in. 78 degrees is about right to account for transfer temp drop of about 5 degrees then a few degrees for strike.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]90 min - Hold mash at 69.0 C for 90 min[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add first wort hops to boiler at start of sparge[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Amount Item Type 15.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lauter & Sparge[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Drain Mash Tun[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 14.67 L of 78.0 C water.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 9.93 L of 78.0 C water.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add water to achieve boil volume of 30.29 L[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.042 SG with all grains/extracts added[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Boil for 60 min Start to Boil.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Boil[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30 min into boil Add 15.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (30 min)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30 min into boil Add 15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]50 min into boil Add 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]60 min Steep 15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (for 20 Mins) (Aroma Hop-Steep)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]60 min Steep 15.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (for 20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fermentation[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cool wort to fermentation temperature[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add water (as needed) to achieve volume of 23.00 L[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add Ingredients to Fermenter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Amount Item Type 1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.056 SG). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Would burton yeast attenuate to that. What about wyeast 1010. It has that slight wheatbeer, banana twang.

I haven't used Burton yeast so don't have any data of my own, it looks like the attenuation is OK. Anyone with experience on this yeast?

I'd probably use WLP007 as it's basically my house yeast most of the time as I harvest it from the conical a few times. Changing yeast for one-offs is a pain!

I always associate Burton water with that sulphurous eggy smell as well as hop-forward character, and I don't recall too much of that. Is Gold made at Marstons or Hobgoblin...?

Anyway, I'm going to have another good taste of this tonight and check the FG again. Some good points have been raised to look out for...

I think Clibit makes a good shout about there being some Pilgrim in the bittering. I can really taste Sauvin in the finish, so I think Citra and Sauvin are the dominant flavour hops.

As Birkin says Orfy's regular Hobgoblin clone is a cracking recipe, I made it before Christmas and it was excellent - I used WLP007 which is a good match for Hobgoblin. I would get about 81% AA from WLP007 at 65C for Gold, could be a good one to use...

Gold is a Wychwood beer, made at the Wychwood brewery. I don't believe you can get Wychwood yeast, but you want a high attenuation English strain like WLP007/S04, going by that FG of 1007.

I like WLP006, Bedford Ale, I reckon it would do a good job on a Hobgoblin Gold clone, if you can get it. But a dried yeast like S04 or Nottingham would do a reasonable job.

I think Citra and Nelson are the flavour hops. You don't want huge quantities of hops, this is very much an English golden ale using new world hops, it doesn't have the hop punch of an American style ale. I bet if you simplified it to either Pilgrim or Summit for bittering, you wouldn't miss the other hop. I think the focus is Nelson/Citra.

Latest posts

Back