Consistency of temperature vs optimum yeast temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven945

Reaction score
Okay, the threat topic makes sense in my head!

I'm brewing a rosehip saison with Mangrove Jacks m27 Belgian ale yeast. The packet says it's best at 28-32°C. That's not going to happen, even in my relatively warm kitchen, which is about 22° most of the time.

I warmed the FV up to about 28° by putting it in the sink with warm water, and wrapped it in a blanket (out of the sink!) and it's been above 26° until now, when it's about 23°. Would I be best to warm it up again in the sink to 28° again, or would the inconsistencies over the time fermenting cause more problems than fermenting it below optimum temperature?

ive used that yeast twice pitching at 27 & 29 but fermenting at 22-23 - they've both turned out fab! need a bit more ageing perhaps so I can vouch that it will be more than fine. my favourite used used to date :grin:

Great, thanks! I pitched far too cold (my thermometer broke during chilling of the wort) but the next day I raised the temperature, and it's definitely very active. I took a look yesterday and it smells very interesting. Very rich smelling.

Yeah I made a saison last year and I couldn't get it past 24 tbh.. It came out fine.. I would just do what beer cat said keep it in a warm stable room and wrap it up..

Back