Using Munich malt as a main base malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klemay83

Reaction score
In my current stock of grains I seem to have about 3kg worth of Germain Munich malt and was wondering in order to try and get rid of it, isthere any recipes/beer styles that use a lot of Muninch as a base malt?

My current set up allows me to do a 12L boil, resulting in about a 10L batch.

As always any help or advice appreciatedFolks.

Yep what about a Munich Dunkel which is brewed with munich and carafa special or a bock with pilsner and munich?

A dunkel sounds like it might be fun to make...I've got a bag of Hallertau in the freezer as well.

Thus far, I have made two beers with 100% Munich Malt type II. They were both pretty decent I thought.

One was a Munich Dunkel, bottom-fermented (German W34/70) with an OG of about 1.048, hopped to about 24 IBUs with Comet (only first wort hopping). I used double decoction for that.

The other one was an ale, fermented with US05, OG about 1.052, hopped to 22 IBUs with Magnum (also only first wort hopping). Simple mash procedure at 67°C. Lovely beer.

So, in my opinion, Munich Malt is perfectly fine as a base malt (even at 100%). Your Hallertauer is probably also perfectly suitable for a Dunkel but I guess hop aroma only plays second fiddle.

Many lager style use munich.As steve mentions a dunkel is one. You dont have to make a 100% accurate lager (with cold fermentation and cold conditioning) if you dont want to. Just use a lager receipe, along with a clean yeast like US-05 or notty and make an ale but with malts and hops usually associated with lagers, to make a lager inspired pale ale. I do this all the time. Hallertau hops are great for doing this too

Latest posts

Back