black ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Could I use a tin of dark malt extract combined with a partial mash of maris otter and a bit of crystal to make a black ipa? Or is the malt extract better suited to a stout or other dark beer?

Cheers

Clint

Never used dark malt extract before, I am not sure it would it add enough roastiness alone for a black IPA..? what hops and hop schedule did you plan on adding

Just done my first black IPA myself and its a few weeks in the bottle.. its great really good style I think if you like IPAs and stouts you should def try them

I dont think it would add enough 'blackness'. When I was kit brewing I used some dark malt extract in a coopers APA and it came out amber coloured like a bitter. I think steeping some carafa special III, black prinz, or perhaps even black malt might work (better)

I don't think dark LME and a partial mash will get the colour or the flavour needed for a BIPA. I recon you are better off using light malt extract and doing a mash with a bit of crystal and some dehusked malts like Blackprinz, Midnight Wheat or Carafa Special III.

EDIT: I didn't see MyQul's post before posting, but yeah, that.

Right thanks...haven't got anything in particular planned I just liked the sound of it and looking at different ways of using up my stock..

Latest posts

Back