Kölsch recipe suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using the Wyeast Denny's Favourite, with the CML Kölsch yeast as back-up. Possibly use them alongside each other as I've had the liquid yeast for about month now in my fridge and have no supplies for a starter.

That's a better idea. Curious to see how it'd turn out with the yeast blend tbh! :-D

iirc, 260g makes for a 1.040 2L starter

H&B are always having penny and buy one get one half price sales so I usually look out for those
It seems of late that the malts are not being discounted as often as they were:twisted:

Awesome, would love to hear how it comes out! What did you use for the hop schedule?

Just tried the gravity sample of this. So far its REALLY nice. I dont think MJ CaliLager yeast likes the cold much as I put the FV in my brewbag at 16C and it didnt do anything for 24hrs so I took it out again. As soon as I did it began to ferment.
I would definately make this beer again and use your receipe based on the strength of the gravity sample. It's a shame I dont have much carablonde left and only recently made a large grain order so wont be ordering again for a while

Just tried the gravity sample of this. So far its REALLY nice. I dont think MJ CaliLager yeast likes the cold much as I put the FV in my brewbag at 16C and it didnt do anything for 24hrs so I took it out again. As soon as I did it began to ferment.
I would definately make this beer again and use your receipe based on the strength of the gravity sample. It's a shame I dont have much carablonde left and only recently made a large grain order so wont be ordering again for a while

Really pleased you liked it! I find I have no trouble with fermentis lager yeasts brewed at ale temps (although I've not used the Swiss style yet), never tried the Calilager before. MJs yeast can be really hit or miss I find.

I'll have to try this with carablonde one day and see how it comes out.

Really pleased you liked it! I find I have no trouble with fermentis lager yeasts brewed at ale temps (although I've not used the Swiss style yet), never tried the Calilager before. MJs yeast can be really hit or miss I find.

Have only ever used MJ Empire yeast and to be honest i wouldn't bother with it again.

This is the recipe I've gone for:

5kg Bestmalz Heidelberg
250g Vienna

10g Hallertau Blanc at 60min
10g Hallertau Blanc at 10min
10g Hallertau Blanc at 5 min

CML Kölsch yeast.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll update the thread once it's ready to taste.

Have only ever used MJ Empire yeast and to be honest i wouldn't bother with it again.

I didn't think much of that yeast either. I've also tried their Trappist style yeast which I wasn't too pleased with. I made a recipe with their Bavarian wheat and it was a fantastic beer. I misread the package and thought it was a lager yeast so made a lager with that yeast. I've read great things about their West Coast ale yeast and am currently fermenting an APA with it.

I didn't think much of that yeast either. I've also tried their Trappist style yeast which I wasn't too pleased with. I made a recipe with their Bavarian wheat and it was a fantastic beer. I misread the package and thought it was a lager yeast so made a lager with that yeast. I've read great things about their West Coast ale yeast and am currently fermenting an APA with it.

I rate their West Coast ale yeast very highly. I switched from US-05 after the first time of using it and haven't looked back. It behaves a bit differently and takes a wee bit longer to clean up after itself, but we're talking days, and the final result is excellent.

I've quite liked the MJ yeasts I've tried. The workhorse was excellent (wonder why they discontinued it) and I like the Empire Ale which I tried in the form of the previous newcastle ale yeast. I also quite like the CaliLager yeast. Seems quite clean for the temp I frmented it at

I rate their West Coast ale yeast very highly. I switched from US-05 after the first time of using it and haven't looked back. It behaves a bit differently and takes a wee bit longer to clean up after itself, but we're talking days, and the final result is excellent.

I've heard quite a few people say they prefer MJ West coast to US-05 so I'm looking forward to seeing the results myself. Whilst I love a good IPA, my water profile doesn't suit this style so I have to work extra hard making hoppy beers. If this yeast helps maker better IPAs I'll be really happy.

I've quite liked the MJ yeasts I've tried. The workhorse was excellent (wonder why they discontinued it) and I like the Empire Ale which I tried in the form of the previous newcastle ale yeast. I also quite like the CaliLager yeast. Seems quite clean for the temp I frmented it at
Interesting.
I thought the Empire yeast was pant's!
Horses for Courses:lol:

Just drinking a beer I made with:

3kg lager malt
0.8kg pilsner malt
0.5kg vienna malt
0.2kg carapils

75 min mash at 66 degrees with 3.5l per kg water

30g EKG at 60 mins
30g EKG at 5 mins
20g cascade at flameout

CML Kolsch yeast at 16.5 degrees to start, increased to 19 gradually.

I'm still very much learning about putting recipes together, but this is very good indeed. Even SWMBO (who has turned her nose up at pretty much everything I have brewed) announced that this was 'really nice' :)

Back