recommendations for a lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herdy

Reaction score
hi im looking for any recommendations for a kit that has a similar taste to a beer I love, 'carling premier' if anyone can steer me in the right direction that would be great :thumb::thumb:

Now I've never even heard of Carling Premier (until just now) let alone drunk it, but if what DM says is true, then my suggestion is to make the best lager kit you can.
Hopefully some of the kit guys can point you in the direction of a decent lager kit (I've never made a lager kit). Then swap out the yeast for W34/70 as it's reported to get good results at ale temps (unless of course you have a brew fridge) and perhaps add a hop tea and/or a dry hop

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Lager_Pilsner_Beer_Kits.html

There a link to a good online shop with their selection of kits, they'll also do you the equipment. Other similar shops include geterbrewed.com, thehomebrewcompany.co.uk (these 2 have forum discounts) and themaltmiller.co.uk.

I've never done a lager kit but it won't turn out exactly like a commercial lager, a true lager is fermented cold, around 10c, then lagered for a couple of weeks/months between 0 - 4c. As such they are a fairly advanced brew to do properly because you need a fridge for temperature control. A kit will likely ferment warm, 18 - 22c, and produce a clean, lager-like beer, if you get a good kit then it will make decent beer. If you kit tells you to use a heap of sugar, common if it comes with 1 can of extract, then replace this with an equal weight of dried malt extract. The same shops sell this and if you're doing a lager you'll want an extra light extract
which can be found here.

Good luck.

Beerworks Southern Gold Digger Premium Lager
Beerworks Southern Gold Digger Premium Lager

Sale
Southern Gold Digger Premium Lager - Beerworks Craft Brewery Series
5 Review(s) | Add Your Review
This lager pours forth with an elegant noble hop aroma; earthy spices and fresh cut grass suffuse the glass making this breathtakingly aromatic. Along with the sparkling bitterness the herbal character imbued by this noble hop brings a satisfying elegance to the beer. Light floral notes to finish ensure this is eminently drinkable.
This is a good kit,if this link doesn’t work look up lovebrewing.
Good luck

not sure if the replies are slightly tongue in cheek (in a friendly way of course) , but carling premier is a world away from carling lager, which I wouldn't even cook with.

It used to be our staple many moons ago, and disappeared for a long time but is back. Must admit I've not tried it in 15 years, but it's more like a smooth beer (notlager) and strong stuff.

Thanks for your replys, yes GDog you know the stuff I'm talking about it too was brought up on the stuff before it disappeared, until recently I've been a able to buy it in cans from my local off licence but it's bloody expensive hence my question about a kit 👍

Lots of reviews of lager kits here
Beer Kit Review A - Z
And, as someone recently commented on here
Larger = Bigger
Lager = German Style Beer

I see this a lot on thread titles and always wonder whether to bother correcting the spelling (I dont think members can edit their thread titles once they've posted).
I do this one though, now

Back