How much was your first pint?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
I can only imagine this has been discussed many times before (?) but what did you pay for your first pint? I have the kind of mind which retains such trivia so I can tell you that in 1978 we used to pay 38p for a pint of Tetley bitter or similar. When I went to university in 1980 it was more like 48p in the student's union but due to a government plot it leapt to 60p in one budget. Did any of us buy our first in shillings and pence?:lol:

Just realised. I can still brew a pint of decent AG for 38p. Result!

I think in 1987 it was Holstein Export for a bit less than £1, cigarettes were a similar price.

1987 Webster Yorkshire bitter 84p a pint and it was lovely stuff.

Probably in about 1985, I would have paid about 90p for a pint of Hoffmeister. :oops:

I was young, I needed the money.

I think it was about £1.50 or so a pint when I first started drinking, though I remember clearly it being £1.05 for a pint of lager in the student union when I first arrived at uni. It was rubbish beer though, 3.5% Heineken.

My first pint was Double Diamond but I cannot remember how much it was (10 fags were 26 pense couldn't afford 20) which was bought by my grandad in a pub that closed many years ago, it was in the early seventies

Only became legal in the later 90s. I remember it was £1.05 a pint in the rugby club for years. It slowly creeped up 5p a year and people weren't hapoy. £1 a pint in uni was decent.

It was charrington IPA at 93p a pint, 1987, I was 14 at the time........

Dunno. But a fiver would get you leathered at the local W.M.C. and buy fish 'n' chips on the way home. I went past the other day and the chalkboard outside said Stones £1.80 a pint...

75p for a pint of Younger's Scotch Bitter or 80p for a pint of the far superior No.3. A pint & a packet of crips and change from a quid. Happy days.

Dunno. But a fiver would get you leathered at the local W.M.C. and buy fish 'n' chips on the way home. I went past the other day and the chalkboard outside said Stones �£1.80 a pint...

Didn't know you could still get Stones. I loved the flavour of that bitter even though I could only get it on keg. Must. Find. Recipe.

Can't remember exactly, but the first pint I bought in a pub was around the £3 mark.This was 2007 in Berkshire. It's now generally up around £3.80 - £4 in the same area.

First beer I had in a pub as far as I can remember was 9d for a half of bitter so that's 1/6d or 7.5 'new pence' a pint. Mild would have been even cheaper.
At the end of the 60s beer in the Midlands and the North was was rarely above two bob (10p) a pint, well at least in the many pubs I visited.

Back in 1966/7 i am guessing that my first pint cost me less than 2/-,yup two bob:lol:

Back