How much was your first pint?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember! I'm guessing somewhere between £1.50 and £2.00. going back to around 2001. There were still plenty of pound a pint nights around.

I can only imagine this has been discussed many times before (?) but what did you pay for your first pint? I have the kind of mind which retains such trivia so I can tell you that in 1978 we used to pay 38p for a pint of Tetley bitter or similar. When I went to university in 1980 it was more like 48p in the student's union but due to a government plot it leapt to 60p in one budget. Did any of us buy our first in shillings and pence?:lol:

Pff I paid ƒ1.50 for a .33 bottle of lager in 1985, translated into £ makes it 60 p. or roughly 90 p. a pint. When I worked in the UK in the late 90's, I paid 2 something for a pint. But they were good pints, waited by good wenches.

Now that takes me back... back to what I now suspect is the cause of my tinnitus.
I used to work for Apple in Sidcup, down to Foots Cray. We were a young bunch back in the 90's: the iMac just saw the light, OS8, you name it. Multilingual, shared our houses, lived and drank together, young and horny.

Especially at the Seven Stars.

It was late November 1998 I think, maybe early November. It was on a Friday, and we had a hell of a week. All languages, all countries, bushed and battered, we came down (or better:up, because it was a bit higher, but whatever) to the Seven Stars. And every pint cleansed our souls a bit from the spit and vile that was deposed upon us by the helldesk phone.

After a pint of 4, or 7, I approached the head wench, a gorgeous lovely golden-hearted woman who was (for us, male) sadly into other women and ordered another lot of pints of drink. As she handed them over with her warm smile, I said (and I meant it) from the bottom of my heart (with a bit of a double tongue, just a bit): "If you were a proper woman, I'd marry you."
And without skipping a beat she replied; "If you were a proper man, I'd say yes".

The following roar, the laughter, the banging on tables, the screams, the stamping of feet: yes, the cause of my tinnitus.
:cheers:

When i headed off to polly a pint in the union was 54p while back home 68p for bitter or 74p for the premium bitter.

btw tetleys isnt beer, its yorkshire bin juice served with an inch of air on top..

When i headed off to polly a pint in the union was 54p while back home 68p for bitter or 74p for the premium bitter.

btw tetleys isnt beer, its yorkshire bin juice served with an inch of air on top..

How dare you sir !

Circa 1977 and Tetleys bitter was 16p in my ‘local’ , the Bay horse in Baildon, West Yorks. Mild was 14p and a pint of ‘mixed ‘ was 15p (go figure...!).
Lovely, and none of this trendy hoppy stuff....!

1/10 1/2d (One 'n' tenpence ha'penny) for pint of mild.

Well.....Bitter was two bob....??!! :eek:

We had a theory that you were more likely to get served underage if you asked for halves rather than pints, so my in 1981 my first half of Red Stripe lager was 36 pence.

By 1985 I was working in the Public Bar of a Greene King pub: mild was 64p, IPA 68p, Abbott 72p and Guinness 90p.

Cask Tetley doesn't travel well, not even within Yorkshire. If you know where to go in Leeds you can get still get a great pint and at 3.7% you can drink it all night without falling over.

We don't talk about keg Tetley.

Did you ever find a recipe?
I love a pint of Stones they still have it up Sheffield so I always have a few when I go up for the football matches

At the tender age of 17 (1974) it was 35p a pint of Tetleys in the local (Nags Head). I remember getting piXXed on it (probably 3 pints (I was a real lightweight)) and the next day after feeling sorry for myself somebody said "Try the hair of the dog" so off to the pub I went......Bought a pint, had a sip, went to the bog, threw up and never tried that again (Beer and Hair).:nono:

87p for a pint of mild at the Top House in Bramcote. 1984.

1986 if you are an officer of the law.

I well remember that I could leave the house with a couple of quid in my pocket, go to a dance, get drunk, smoke a packet of fags, eat a fish supper and still come home with change. :thumb:

Back in 1961 a pint of beer was about two shillings (10p), a packet of 20 Senior Service was about five shillings (25p) and a fish supper came in at about six shillings (30p).

Luckily for me, another factor that made my life cheaper was my fairly low tolerance to beer. Five pints and I was fine, but by six pints I was "going home by rail".

My first taste of Mansfield Bitter at age 12 was a real "WTF?" moment that I still remember. I couldn't for the life of me understand how anyone could drink stuff like that; but as I got older I soldiered on to reach today's love of the stuff. :whistle:

PS

"Going home by rail." involves dragging your way along the railings that border the footpath. If you are ever in Skegness take a look at the front of the County Hotel and you will see to the left of the building the very first set of railings that I used on my way home! They should install a Blue Plaque! :lol: :lol:

Happy Days!! :thumb: :thumb:

I well remember that I could leave the house with a couple of quid in my pocket, go to a dance, get drunk, smoke a packet of fags, eat a fish supper and still come home with change. :thumb:

Back in 1961 a pint of beer was about two shillings (10p), a packet of 20 Senior Service was about five shillings (25p) and a fish supper came in at about six shillings (30p).

Luckily for me, another factor that made my life cheaper was my fairly low tolerance to beer. Five pints and I was fine, but by six pints I was "going home by rail".

My first taste of Mansfield Bitter at age 12 was a real "WTF?" moment that I still remember. I couldn't for the life of me understand how anyone could drink stuff like that; but as I got older I soldiered on to reach today's love of the stuff. :whistle:

PS

"Going home by rail." involves dragging your way along the railings that border the footpath. If you are ever in Skegness take a look at the front of the County Hotel and you will see to the left of the building the very first set of railings that I used on my way home! They should install a Blue Plaque! :lol: :lol:

Happy Days!! :thumb: :thumb:
Senior Service
flash git:grin::grin::grin:

At sea the Duty Free Bonded Store sold them at 10/- for a 200 fag carton! :thumb:

I never could stomach Capstan Full Strength though! :lol: :lol:
Willy Woodbines or Weights
that's all i could afford:|:|:| having said that,the corner shop sold single Seniors for 3d:lol:

8p for a pint of double diamond in our local rafa club always went up to 10p at holiday time never did work that one out also same as dutto me and the wife could go out with 3 or 4 quid get sozzled 20 fags ( players No6 I think ) and fish and chips on the way home, oh my where has the time gone feel quit old now nowadays just stick to the home brew without the fags and fish supper

First was probably a pint of Manfield at about 70p, Rockware Glass social club, around 1990. I would have been 14 (and it would have been my dads pint), then I remember £1.10 Sam Smiths about 1993. But from 1994 for a few years 80p a pint again, in our squadrons subsidised other ranks mess

Back