They have got too far...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now I voted to remain and generally quite like the EU but if they affect Doner Kebabs, they will have crossed a line...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42238363

Another week, another EU food scare. Is the future of the humble and hugely popular doner kebab now in question?
Recent headlines are not comforting for fans of the spicy, grilled Turkish meat.
"Is the doner a goner?" and "For pitta's sake" helped fuel an anxious debate, while Germany's Bild daily screamed "It could be the end of the doner!"
It's all because of a vote in the European Parliament next week. MEPs will debate whether to tighten controls over phosphate additives widely used in the meat following health warnings.

Now I voted to remain and generally quite like the EU but if they affect Doner Kebabs, they will have crossed a line...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42238363

Another week, another EU food scare. Is the future of the humble and hugely popular doner kebab now in question?
Recent headlines are not comforting for fans of the spicy, grilled Turkish meat.
"Is the doner a goner?" and "For pitta's sake" helped fuel an anxious debate, while Germany's Bild daily screamed "It could be the end of the doner!"
It's all because of a vote in the European Parliament next week. MEPs will debate whether to tighten controls over phosphate additives widely used in the meat following health warnings.

Don't eat Kebabs to get healthy!!

This is one of the few things I have never eaten. I was mentally scarred as a child, walking home from school in North London past a kebab shop, and seeing a fat, sweaty Greek guy in a vest, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, slicing away at an elephant's leg. Enough to put anyone off. :sick:

This is one of the few things I have never eaten. I was mentally scarred as a child, walking home from school in North London past a kebab shop, and seeing a fat, sweaty Greek guy in a vest, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, slicing away at an elephant's leg. Enough to put anyone off. :sick:

The rotating elephants leg put me right off and to this day I have never tasted one.

Yeah I've had one after a few beers and it tasted ok (probably as much as a dog turd in a bun would at that point) but.....WTF is it???

Lamb / Mutton mince with spices.

Obviously, there's a quality range with lamb mince; from mainly meat to mainly, erm, 'less choice' animal parts.

It's basically a massive ol lamb cofta kebab. Look up proper recipes for that and you'll get the idea.

I love Kebabs, but in today's health and PC conscious world it's difficult for anyone to make a decision that may result in someone dying so "Ban It" is the usual knee-jerk reaction.

A good example is the Potassium Nitrate that prevents the formation of Botulism in meat. After using it for generations to preserve everything from bacon to corned beef, scientists have discovered that it can form carcinogenic materials injurious to health.

This makes a brilliant read for a wet and windy Sunday! It will make Kebabs seem a lot less dangerous!

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017...-scotland-to-the-horrors-of-botulism-in-1922/

Enjoy! :thumb:

Surely kebabs are the ultimate health food?
Low in fat since it all drips off as it rotates temptingly for days on end. Enough vegetables for the necessary vitamins and carbohydrate in the pitta bread. The protein from the meat makes you feel full so you don't over eat. You could live from kebabs alone. Just make sure you agree to the inclusion of salt and lemon for balance and chilli sauce for flavour. My mouth is watering as I type.

Surely kebabs are the ultimate health food?
Low in fat since it all drips off as it rotates temptingly for days on end. Enough vegetables for the necessary vitamins and carbohydrate in the pitta bread. The protein from the meat makes you feel full so you don't over eat. You could live from kebabs alone. Just make sure you agree to the inclusion of salt and lemon for balance and chilli sauce for flavour. My mouth is watering as I type.
Spot on, I lived on them as a student and it was a balanced diet. Meat, bread and veg all in one go. I live in Nottingham and the best ones come on Nan breads. Garlic Nan if your lucky so good for the heart too.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Spot on, I lived on them as a student and it was a balanced diet. Meat, bread and veg all in one go. I live in Nottingham and the best ones come on Nan breads. Garlic Nan if your lucky so good for the heart too.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I lived in Nottingham for a while, ( 17 years ~ until I got the smelly city thing out of my system :lol: ) and have fond memories of amazing kebabs from the Charcoal Bra and Caspians at Canning Circus.

Walk in, chose your pot of marinading fresh meat, bloke puts it on a skewer in a grill, pops a dough ball in the tandor (sp?) oven to make the naan bread, served with fresh salad and chilli sauce. Mmmmmmm....

Latest posts

Back