Summer Ale Suggestions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, start with the Greg Hughes summer ale malt bill (92% Maris Otter 5.7 EBC, 8% Crystal 130 EBC), switch out the hops though for Citra and Cascade.

I went with (for a 21 litre batch) for a 60 minute boil:-

Citra 12.6% AA 10.4g start of boil (bittering)
Cascade 7% AA 14g 30 minutes before end of boil
Citra 12.6% AA 5.2g 30 minutes before end of boil
Cascade 7% AA 14g 1 minute before end of boil

Wort was delicious, the flat beer is delicious, I can but hope that once bottled and primed it continues to be delicious. :thumb: The Citra is in there in a supporting role, with the Cascade doing most of the work.

You could try this great summer lightning clone

EA6C9E0B-481D-4D13-9FFC-9CE801812763.jpg

I got the gh summer ale kegged in the shed atm....it's very good! In fact I've banned myself from it until Xmas as I could easily thrash it all down my neck in a few nights...

Thanks guys, Summer Lighting was my first taste of a hoppy beer, not tried it for years but used to love it.

I wondered if there are any thoughts about using Fullers yeast from a bottle of 1845 to make Summer Lightning, do you think fermenting at 19C will keep esters down enough?

I really like saisons and sour beers in summer. Let me know if that's of interest and I'll dog out a couple of recipes

You can't go wrong, any time of year with a batch of best bitter.
95% maris otter
5% medium crystal
EKGs to 30 IBUs
Wyeast 1028

Latest posts

Back