Alemans Effin Bohemian Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no need to add sodium (sodium chloride/table salt) at all to any brewing liquor . . . keep it for your chips . . . While chloride is desirable sodium is not,

:wha: Funny that they chuck bags of it in at work, that much you would think they were salting the roads!

Up

highwayman said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: Water for Lager sorted...Bohemian Mash sorted.....Thanks ever so much A;)
You're Welcome, I may even go back to some of my old printed off emails and type them in as there is a lot of information there that needs to be captured somewhere.

Still, here is a challenge for all brewers . . . Lets make the next Forum brew a Bohemian Pilsner (And don't forget it's a category in the Spring Fling).

Three Variants of grain bill

First one is 100% Pilsner Malt (Or British Lager Malt :roll:)
Second Alternative 95% Pilsner / 5% Melanoidin Malt
Third Alternative 90% Pilsner / 10% Munich Malt

Gravity up to 12 Plato (1.048) with a BU:GU of ~0.8-0.85 (so 1.048 IBU 38.4 - 40.8)

Hopping with Czech Saaz Only, Your choice of when to add them . . . but be aware that a clean bitterness is important, without too much hop flavour . . . don't forget aroma either.

Yeast - Your choice . . . and there is a lot out there

unclepumble said:
There is no need to add sodium (sodium chloride/table salt) at all to any brewing liquor . . . keep it for your chips . . . While chloride is desirable sodium is not,

:wha: Funny that they chuck bags of it in at work, that much you would think they were salting the roads!

Up
How much would you recommend for a 46 litre brew Unc?
I put 8g in :hmm:

BB

This is a brillient post :thumb: thanks & very well done Aleman :thumb:

Iv been thinking of doing a decoction mash for some time now, & now Im right up for this Bohemium pilsner chalenge. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Aleman, thanks for all the information so far on this subject.

I'm going to be brewing my attempt Saturday 4.12.10 :thumb:
Been working through the decoction calulations the past few days :wha:

Just a little clarification on something please.
I'm going to use the Bohemian Pilsner malt and 500g of melanoidin malt.....I think I've confused myself a little by reading the HERMS bit :lol:
Can you just confirm for me please, even with the added melanoidin I will still need to go through the decoction process covered here?? viewtopic.php?p=110657#p110657

Just got to find a pot big enough now :lol:
Thanks in advance

Sorry it's been an insane week here.

If you are doing the decoction don't use melanoidin malt, it is not requires and you'll just get an overly malty beer.

If it is the Czech Floor malted Bohemian malt then you can get away with the Hochkurz mash schedule . . . if its the standard Bohemian pilsner malt it does not require step mashing.

Latest posts

Back