turbo cider i think?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevander74

Regular.
Reaction score
while buying a beer kit i decided to buy the stuff i needed for 5l of cider from juice.
I bought an airlock and bung and asked what yeast to use for cider and was given champagne yeast.(?)
On the way back i stopped at asda and bought 5l bottle of water, thats my demijohn, and 4.5l of smartprice apple juice (3x1.5l cartons) juice has 11.3g of sugar per 100ml. I drilled a hole in the lid of the bottle to fit the bung into nice and tight.
juice into DJ and topped up with half litre of boiling water with 100g of sugar dissolved in it. Rehydrated the yeast and pitched the full 6g because thats what i was advised to do, hope this wasnt too much.
well now just got to wait to see if i have cider i a couple of weeks or £5 down the drain, literally :D
BTW is this what turbo cider is? cider from juice? :wha:

No Steve you are doing it wrong, you should be doing batches of 25 litres :lol:
Seriously, what you did sounds about right to me. ;) Do a couple of 5l then you can upscale if you like it ;)
Must get some on soon myself soon, good as a barbecue fuel, for the girls that is, not the fire. :lol:

Yep - that's turbo cider alright. "Turbo" just refers to the fact that you're fermenting it with brewers yeast over 7-10 days, rather than natural cider which uses the yeast stored in the apple skins and takes months to ferment.

Might end up a bit dry with the champagne yeast ;)

bottled my cider today.
sg 1044 fg 0998 abv 6.1% nice :thumb:
initial taste is nice but a little acidic, which i hope will mellow over time, and dry thanks to the champagne yeast.
overall im pleased with my first attempt at cider. :D
next: apple, red grape and raspberry juice with red wine yeast :hmm:

Latest posts

Back